Experienced Publicist (Book Industry Knowledge a Plus!)
- Full Time
Work independently and/or as part of a team with authors/publishers; get to know their books, craft and execute pitches to media, with the goal of securing coverage in the form of interviews, articles, book reviews, feature stories, etc.
Day to day, after a period of training, you will be the primary contact with client, write press releases, research media database, develop creative ways (using information from the author, current news stories, statistics, editorial calendars, awareness months, etc.) to earn media coverage, pitch media by telephone and email, perform follow up activities and arrange media opportunities with client.
- Creative and able to collaborate with clients on ideas and strategy.
- Excellent communicator to media, clients, and internal team. Persuasive, clear, and direct writing and telephone skills are essential when presenting clients to the media. Key skills also include the ability to communicate strategy, ideas, and results with client and to internal team.
- Organized, detailed oriented, able to multitask, work independently, meet strict deadlines, have a sense of urgency for results and possess computer/research skills.
- News savvy, following trends and breaking stories across print, broadcast and online media.
- Comfortable with Vocus/Cision international media database.
- Thorough, reporting written weekly updates company and client, and holding ongoing telephone calls/meetings with clients and internal team.
- Available to work in Cherry Hill, NJ headquarters. Option to work remotely also available.
Required: BA/BS in public relations, marketing, communication, English, business, publishing or related field. Ideal candidate has 3 to 5 years publicity/public relations related experience. Publishing industry experience a plus.
About Smith Publicity: Founded in 1997, Smith Publicity evolved from a one-person operation run from a bedroom office to one of the nation's leading book publicity agencies. The firm has conducted over 3,000 book marketing campaigns working with individual authors and publishers. Smith Publicity clients have appeared on virtually every major radio and television program, and been featured in top magazines, newspapers and online news sites.