Script Writer (Podcast)
Wait, What? is a joyful new start-up from former TED execs June Cohen and Deron Triff. For a combined 16 years, June and Deron launched and led the media initiatives at TED — TED Talks, TED.com, TED Open Translation Project, TED Radio Hour, TED Books — that led to more than 1 billion views/listens in 2016.
Wait What? is best described as a content incubator that combines exceptional creative capacity with distribution know-how to create original media properties that reach great scale and can be sold or spun-off as independent businesses. Our projects include podcasts, social video, VR series and apps with partners like TED, Audible, Earwolf and LinkedIn. We’re channeling our energy to fulfill what we believe is the greatest, often unspoken, need of our times… to feel lit up and alive. Everything we produce will have those “Wait, what?’ moments that spark your curiosity and change your understanding of the world.
We're looking for a scriptwriter with some background in both journalism and audio, who is intellectually ambitious, creatively courageous, and passionate about sharing big, provocative ideas through the art of long-form storytelling to work on Season 2 of our podcast Masters of Scale. You must love start-up culture, feel energized by team-oriented environments, and have an all-hands-on-deck attitude.
About Masters of Scale
Masters of Scale is an original podcast hosted by LinkedIn Co-Founder and Greylock Partner Reid Hoffman showing how companies grow from zero to a gazillion. The series unfolds like a music-infused detective story as Hoffman tests his theories with famous founders. Masters of Scale is the first American media program to commit to a 50-50 gender balance for guests. Find out more at www.mastersofscale.com
- Work with the WaitWhat team to research guests and discover the untold stories of iconic entrepreneurs
- Draft interview questions that draw out the humor, vulnerability and drama of scaling a business
- Listen to interviews, with an ear for fantastic stories, clips and ambient sound
- Select quotes from a wide range of interviews and arrange into a compelling episode outline
- Write episode scripts, from a gripping cold open to a suspenseful storyline that expertly weaves together narration from the host and clips from the guests
- Pitch additional story elements — whether it’s unexpected guests, original reporting, creative sound design or music — anything that pushes the creative boundaries of the show
- Match the host’s voice and the show's signature style
- Pitch and draft creative formats for ads
- Support audience engagement tactics, including show-related newsletters, social media posts, online communities, etc.
- A passionate storyteller, a creative writer and deep, analytical thinker
- 2+ years experience in long-form writing for audio programs (Podcasts / Radio)
- Highly organized and able to meet weekly deadlines
- Proven critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal
- Enthusiasm for business or tech stories is a plus. Sense of humor is a huge plus
This is a contract position. WaitWhat is headquartered in New York City. This position allows you to work remotely.
We only hire extremely nice people.