Central Communications Analyst
The Citizen team is growing. We're seeking passionate, hardworking, and mission driven people to help take us to the next level and launch in multiple new cities this year.
Now hiring: A Central Communications Analyst to join our fast-growing startup.
This is an hourly, contract position with significant growth opportunities for candidates who become core contributors. All candidates will begin with a 4-8 week paid training and evaluation period, after which full time positions are available for associates who excel. Please note that we run a 24/7 operation. We are currently hiring for evening, weekend and overnight shifts. These are some of our most action-packed, exciting hours of operation.
We will give you the skills to monitor various real-time data sources to translate raw information into public safety alerts and detailed narratives.
We're looking for candidates who have a combination of the following:
- ... studied journalism, writing, or a similar field.
- ... written news stories or blog posts about current events.
- ... an interest in what’s happening around your city and follow local news.
- ... listened to police radio or a scanner app.
- ... knowledge of emergency broadcast codes ("10-Codes", e.g.) used by first responders.
- ... studied maps or have experience with GIS.
- You're tech savvy. You can navigate multiple windows, tabs, and quickly pick up user-friendly software. You communicate accurately, quickly and efficiently via text-based chat systems. You're able to type at least 70 words per minutes with good form and few mistakes.
- You thrive under pressure. We operate in a fast-paced, exciting environment. You must stay calm and cool under pressure, and maintain your ability to produce high-quality work during breaking news situations.
- Align with our company culture. We are growing quickly, adapting and evolving constantly, and brainstorming nonstop. Be ready to bring ideas to the table, pivot and learn fast.
- You are a flawless English speaker. You use proper grammar and punctuation 100% of the time. You're able to understand spoken English in all dialects.
- You're available to work nights and/or weekends. You're also comfortable working in a 24/7/365 newsroom environment.
- You're a persistent problem solver. You excel at piecing together information to create a complete picture.
- You want to grow and take on new tasks. You're eager to learn new skills and work outside of your established comfort zone. Your intellectual curiosity drives and motivates you.
- You're a team player. You bring a positive attitude to work every day and collaborate effectively with a diverse, talented group of writers and researchers.
- You have excellent judgement. You'll need to make decisions quickly and determine the gravity of incidents as they unfold in real time.
Benefits and perks:
We pride ourselves on creating an environment where our employees are inspired to create meaningful work. We also provide you with additional training and tools you need to get the job done well. We provide free food in the office while you work. Full time employees receive full healthcare and other benefits.
If you'd like to apply, please complete a 1-minute typing test at http://www.ratatype.com/typing-test/ to help us make sure you've got some of the foundational technical skills we're looking for.
Please include your resumé, and a cover letter with the following information: A link to your typing test results (it should look like this: http://www.ratatype.com/u######/certificate/), an introduction – tell us why you're interested in joining our team at Citizen, a link to any writing samples or other narrative-based work you've done in the past, and a link to your LinkedIn page.
The need has never been greater for technology that informs and protects the public. The Citizen app empowers people with information to help keep their families, communities, and cities safe. Users receive instant notifications every time a crime or other major incident is reported near them.
Our mission is to increase every person’s situational awareness when it matters most. When lights and sirens race past, a lack of information too often breeds fear. At Citizen, we replace that fear with information that helps our users navigate their world safely, knowledgeably, and with the confidence that Citizen will notify them when potential danger is near.
Citizen first launched in New York City in March 2017, and in San Francisco six months later. Our community has grown rapidly. Citizen now has more than 180,000 active users. We have sent over 11 million notifications notifying users of emergency situations in their area. We’re currently growing our team and expanding to multiple cities in 2018. This is just the beginning.
Apply for Central Communications Analyst
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly