Editor, Time Out Boston
- Full Time
Reporting to: Head of Content, Time Out North America
Internal: Content, North America
Time Out is, and always has been, your best friend in the city. It all began in London in 1968 and has consistently maintained its status as the ‘go to’ source of inspiration for both locals and visitors alike. Today, we are bringing our hunger for discovery and our honest voice to over 100 cities in 39 countries all over the world, reaching a global monthly audience of 137 million. We are proud to say that we are now the leading global media and entertainment business that inspires and enables people to make the most of a city. If you want to know about food, attractions, art, culture, shopping, nightlife and travel, then Time Out is your social companion.
Everything we do helps people discover, book and share what the world’s cities offer. From our powerful content and top-quality curation to the products and selected offers that can be booked directly with us, special offers for city dwellers, the solutions for partners to connect with our audience, or the imagination of our Live Events – no one knows the city like us. Our global presence includes a massive online presence, mobile applications, city magazines, guides and more. Now Time Out Market is taking that to the next level, bringing the best of a city together under one roof in Lisbon, and in other cities around the world soon.
In June 2016, Time Out Group was listed on London's AIM stock exchange, raising investment to position the company for the next stage of its growth and development. It’s an exciting time as we’re transforming this iconic brand into a digital, transactional business and continue to shape the future of the city experience for both locals and visitors.
Time Out is a dynamic, pioneering brand and so is our team. We want to work with the best and brightest talent because we work for the world’s greatest cities, the people enjoying them and the businesses in them. As a truly global team we get to collaborate with colleagues from New York to Paris, Sydney and beyond. We’re all driven by our passion to deliver the very best of the city experience and by our belief in the power of discovery. It’s our integrity, passion, curiosity, creativity and openness that make us successful and a unique team.
We are seeking an Editor to lead Time Out Boston in print and online. The Editor is responsible for ensuring all content across our digital, print and social platforms meets the aims of Time Out’s wider content strategy. This role ensures that the right content is prioritized for production, that it’s presented in the right way and that it is of a quality worthy of Time Out. The position will involve launching Time Out Boston in print and rapidly growing the publication’s online audience.
This person is responsible for making sure that Time Out Boston meets their planned goals and targets and are also responsible for helping to increase awareness of the Time Out brand, both in the real world and in print and online. The successful candidate will be an organized self-starter—the position will work independently from the Boston office, reporting into the Head of Content for Time Out North America.
- Create and develop content that fulfills the overall creative, commercial and business goals of Time Out Group.
- Manage a group of freelancers and work with senior editors and art department in New York
- Ensure traffic and audience targets are met on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Safeguard the quality of Time Out content across all platforms, including print, digital, social and video.
- Maintain and develop strong internal and external working relationships across the Time Out Group.
- Be internally and externally recognized as an ambassador for Time Out values and an authority on the Time Out brand and competitors.
- Have a strong knowledge of Boston and the people, places and events that make the city tick.
- Produce and edit content across all platforms, covering the biggest events, inspiring readers to try new things and creates a cultural buzz.
- Prioritize content that drives audience growth and enhances Time Out’s brand reputation.
- Devise and plan feature content for all Time Out digital and print platforms and manage a content calendar and production schedule.
- Ensure content is delivered on time to the standards laid out by Time Out style guides.
- Edit content from freelancers offer feedback to help them continue to grow.
- Work closely with the marketing team to ensure all digital content is well optimized and plan content and layouts to improve search ranking.
- Ensure that all relevant copyrights have been cleared and that content meets legal guidelines.
- Be responsible for overall journalistic integrity.
- Collaborate with Time Out teams nationally and globally to share strategic and content ideas and contribute ideas and content for Time Out platforms in all countries as needed.
- Manage and grow Time Out Boston’s social media channels.
- Work the marketing and commercial teams devise partnerships and events that increase awareness of the Time Out brand.
- Make recommendations for enhancements to Time Out products where relevant to content.
- Test and approve new products and CMS enhancements and report any bugs or site performance issues to relevant Product teams.
Required Knowledge & Experience:
- Experience in a web production environmment.
- Proven ability to work with the various tools of the trade - content management systems; photo, video and audio editing software and a basic knowledge of HTML.
- A good understanding of SEO and how it shapes the content production process.
- Excellent writing, interviewing and copy editing skills.
- Ability to commission content for multiple platforms.
- Demonstrable track record of producing content that engages users and grows audience.
- Strong knowledge of Boston with a desire to constantly be uncovering the latest and greatest things happening in the city.
- Proven ability to work effectively with editorial, marketing, commercial, design and technical teams.
- Excellent communicator – written and oral.
- Quick, creative thinker.
- Passionate advocate of Time Out products.
- Passionate about the city and the arts.