Senior Writer and Editor
The senior writer and editor writes and edits content for whitman.edu, Whitman Magazine, and print and digital publications for varied external and internal constituents including prospective students, alumni, donors and the campus community.
- Under the direction of the director of content, serve as managing editor for Whitman Magazine, contributing news and features and overseeing day-to-day production, including making magazine writing assignments to staff and freelancers, editing, design, coordination, and logistics (scheduling, production, distribution and budget management).
- Work closely with the director of content to plan print and digital issues of Whitman Magazine, including special sections, profiles and features.
- Write and edit Web content including news, features, spotlights/profiles, and institutional copy, ensuring consistency in quality and voice.
- Post and edit content on whitman.edu, using the college’s web content management system.
- Copyedit, proofread, and fact check materials as needed.
- Other writing and editing as assigned.
- Hire, train and supervise student assistants/writing interns.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Exemplary writing and editing skills, adaptable for a range of purposes, including but not limited to media, internal communication, magazine, Web, marketing and fund-raising.
- Excellent proofing, copy editing and fact checking skills; ability to communicate effectively and creatively, both verbally and in writing; thorough knowledge of English language, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and usage.
- Thorough knowledge of AP Style; able to learn and apply the Whitman style guide to appropriate writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the college’s leaders as well as students, faculty, staff, donors, alumni and the general public, in part to conduct effective interviews for stories. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact with diverse individuals and groups.
- Ability to establish and meet deadlines, and to work effectively with a team and in an independent manner.
- Ability to prioritize projects; work quickly, accurately and thoroughly, with attention to detail, and to meet deadlines in an environment of frequent interruptions and sometimes unrealistic timelines.
- Work requires strict adherence to deadlines, a high level of creativity, and the ability to work with little supervision at times.
- Excellent organizational, conceptual, writing and editing skills that contribute to ability to serve as a mentor-supervisor for student interns, staff writer, campus colleagues, and freelancers.
Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, journalism, or related field and five years public relations writing or journalism experience, or any combination of experience that provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the job. Experience editing a college magazine strongly preferred. Skills that contribute to the diversity of the college are appreciated.
Please submit three writing samples and three editing examples.