- Full Time
Reports to: Senior Editor, ThinkProgress
Department: Communications, ThinkProgress
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
ThinkProgress is a news site driven by progressive values and dedicated to producing rigorous reporting and analysis from that perspective. The site has an immediate opening for a Weekend Editor to help oversee day-to-day political coverage on a four-day schedule, from Friday to Monday.
ThinkProgress is looking for a sharp, self-motivated, and trustworthy editor who is enthusiastic about the opportunity to help drive ThinkProgress’ coverage and engage its audience during crucial weekend hours. On Saturdays and Sundays, this editor will work with a small team of reporters to assign stories, edit drafts, craft headlines, and promote articles; on Fridays and Mondays, this editor will collaborate with the rest of the editorial team to share those responsibilities across the newsroom.
Successful candidates will have a good grasp of the role that ThinkProgress occupies in the online media landscape, a commitment to the tenets of responsible journalism, a detail-oriented approach to editing copy, and a fast-twitch enthusiasm for covering breaking news.
- Closely track the biggest political stories of the week.
- Work with reporters to field pitches and hone angles.
- Assign, edit, and promote multiple stories per day, often on tight deadlines.
- Write stories for the site as needed.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Strong newsgathering, writing, and editing skills.
- Sound journalistic and ethical judgment.
- Some previous experience in a general assignment or news desk position.
- The ability to write quickly and clearly for the ThinkProgress audience.
Candidates who would excel in this position:
- Are nimble enough to immerse themselves in a wide range of news topics.
- Can communicate clear instructions and feedback to reporters.
- Understand how to structure and package a compelling story.
- Are eager to assume a leadership role in a newsroom.
This position is not for candidates who:
- Struggle to make quick decisions without close guidance and oversight.
- Become overwhelmed in fast-paced news environments.
- Prefer reporting over primarily behind-the-scenes editorial roles.
- Are not open to working a nontraditional schedule.
This is a full-time position that is part of a bargaining unit represented by WGA East.