- Full Time
In Justice Today, a publication of the Fair Punishment Project, is seeking outstanding candidates for the position of Copy Editor.
ABOUT IN JUSTICE TODAY
In Justice Today, a publication of the Fair Punishment Project, is a national criminal justice news outlet, which produces compelling, original journalism and commentary that educates and inspires journalists, advocates, academics, officials, and others interested in criminal justice reform. It is the place to go for timely, sophisticated coverage and analysis of the most important policy decisions of the day. IJT journalists maintain editorial independence, which to us means that while FPP frequently serves as an instigator of ideas and an important substantive resource, on any particular article our journalists are free to reach their framing, analysis, and conclusions without oversight or interference.
ABOUT THE FAIR PUNISHMENT PROJECT
The Fair Punishment Project is helping to create a fair and accountable justice system through research, legal action, public discourse, and educational initiatives. Our current areas of focus include prosecutorial accountability, bail reform, juvenile life without parole and direct file, drug reform, the criminalization of poverty, and the death penalty. FPP is a joint initiative of Harvard Law School’s Criminal Justice Institute and the Accountable Justice Collaborative at The Advocacy Fund. A number of individual and institutional donors support our work, including Open Philanthropy Project and Vital Projects Fund.
ABOUT THE POSITION OF COPY EDITOR
In Justice Today seeks a highly skilled and organized copy editor to fact check and proofread articles that appear on In Justice Today. The Copy Editor reports to the Director of In Justice Today.
THE COPY EDITOR WILL BE ASKED TO:
- Provide rigorous fact check of articles produced for In Justice Today.
- Thoroughly edit each article for spelling, grammar, punctuation, usage, and style.
- When time permits, edit the Fair Punishment Project’s daily newsletter and
multiple weekly state newsletters for spelling, grammar, punctuation, usage, and
- Participate in weekly editorial meetings led by the Director of IJT.
- Perform additional tasks as identified by the Director of IJT.
THE IDEAL APPLICANTS WILL HAVE:
- At least 3 years of copy editing (including fact checking) experience.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Advanced understanding of the criminal-justice system.
- Ability to work successfully under tight deadlines and in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong work ethic and dependability, including demonstrated ability to work
independently. Most of the staff works in a virtual office environment.
- Experience collaborating with a team.
- Willingness to work in a creative, start-up environment and to help IJT grow in its
first year as a publication.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends when necessary, and travel occasionally.
- FPP welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds and applicants who have been
personally impacted by the criminal justice system.
SALARY, HOURS, & LOCATION
- FPP offers highly competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
- The position is full time.
- The Copy Editor can live anywhere in the U.S., however preference may be given to individuals based in the Austin, Houston, SF Bay Area, or Boston areas.
Please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and contact information for three professional references, with “Copy Editor” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled.