NBC News Associates Program
3 days left
- Full Time
The News Associates Program is a one-year long staff position designed to give participants real-world news experience. Aspiring journalists with diverse backgrounds hone research skills, work on developing news stories in a working news bureau, and participate in field and studio production on a variety of news programs.
A Commitment to Diversity
Our highly competitive program identifies outstanding aspiring journalists who bring diverse backgrounds to news production and news coverage. The program represents NBC's strong commitment to develop a diverse editorial staff within NBC News. The News Associates program is designed to attract candidates of racial, ethnic, economic and geographical diversity, as well as candidates with disabilities.
Behind the Scenes of NBC News
The News Associates program is a fast-track opportunity for people with the goal to learn news-gathering and production skills. It is not designed to train people who wish to be on-air reporters. Participants work on programs such as the nightly news, a morning news program, cable news, at an assignment desk, or on a “magazine” program. The program consists of several long-term assignments on a news program and/or a news bureau. In addition, News Associates have the opportunity to rotate through MSNBC, our 24 hour cable news channel, which will be especially interested in candidates with experience in politics during this election year. Each News Associate is assigned a mentor who is an experienced staff member. News Associates undergo an intense week-long orientation filled with workshops, lunches with guest speakers and training.
A Successful Track Record
Over 80 percent of the News Associates who've completed the program have gone on to various producing positions with NBC News. Some are currently with "Dateline," "NBC Nightly News", "Today", "Weekend Today", or with MSNBC, CNBC, or our Burbank bureau.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Ability to work in New York, NY.
- Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV and complete the essay questions through nbcunicareers.com to be considered.
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation.
- Must be 18 years or greater.
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in United States through September 2028.
- Must be willing to work overtime, nights, holidays, and weekends, often with short notice.
- Must be willing to sign a one-year employment contract committing to remain with the company for one year in New York, NY.
- Masters degree.
- Journalism experience.
- Highly motivated individuals.
- Commitment to Television News Production as a career.
- Solid writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Proven leadership skills.