Director, Content Acquisition
- Full Time
About Roku Inc.
Roku is the largest OTT streaming platform in the United States and has revolutionized the streaming TV business with its streaming players and Streaming Sticks®, co-branded Roku TVs, and Roku Powered™ Pay TV platform. In addition to its hardware sales, Roku drives significant revenue and growth via advertising and sharing in the value generated by the distribution of linear, SVOD, TVOD, and AVOD content on the Roku platform. Roku was founded by Anthony Wood, inventor of the DVR. Roku is publicly traded (NADSAQ: ROKU) and is headquartered in Saratoga, California with major offices in New York, Los Angeles, and Austin.
Roku’s Content Acquisition team sources, negotiates, and closes distribution deals with major OTT content providers (e.g., Netflix, Sling, Hulu, HBO, Amazon, etc.) for carriage on the Roku platform. The ideal candidate has considerable experience in the media industry and a track record of negotiating and closing high-value deals with major networks, studios, MVPDs, and/or digital distributors. The role requires a keen understanding of TV advertising models and is comfortable negotiating for ad inventory splits, shares, backfill agreements, and other advertising models. The candidate is comfortable leading a negotiation process and has experience working directly with legal teams in the contract drafting and review process. In addition, he or she has strong analytical skills and has experience creating financial models and analyses to project the revenue and cost structure of potential deals. Finally, the candidate has both direct managerial experience as well as experience managing cross-functional (e.g., legal, marketing, finance) teams and projects.
- Negotiate major distribution deals with linear, vMPVD, SVOD, TVOD, AVOD, and other OTT content providers
- Participate in all aspects of new business development (deal sourcing, financial analysis and forecasting, term sheet drafting, long-form drafting, contract negotiation, closing, on-going relationship management, etc.)
- Work with Roku’s Legal team to manage installed base of contracts and negotiate renewals.
- Manage and evaluate potential channel partners through content analysis, market demand/appeal, competitive positioning and financial modeling
- Continuously analyze current channel applications and competitor lineups to prioritize channel onboarding
- Prepare strategy documents, quarterly company updates, and board presentations about content deals and the overall media landscape
- Provide ongoing value to the content acquisition team (research content trends, discover ad innovations, recommend new channel partners, analyze deals, etc.)
- 10+ years’ experience in content acquisition for a major MVPD or media company with a track record of personally closing high-value deals with major media companies or content distributors
- Strong working familiarity with the advertising ecosystem, ad inventory pricing, ad economics and business models (direct, programmatic, audience based selling)
- Experience working directly with legal teams in drafting distribution agreements
- Demonstrated passion and understanding of media landscape and solid understanding of streaming media technologies
- Experience working with media sales teams
- Demonstrated mastery of verbal and written communication skills including the ability to cultivate internal and external relationships
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated experience in market analysis, competitive analysis and strategic thinking
- Ability to work independently and change direction frequently
- Demonstrated ability to work cross functionally
- Excellent project and time management skills
- BA/BS required. MBA and/or JD preferred