Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Specialty: Television & Film, Video
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Telemundo Arizona (KTAZ) in Phoenix, AZ, is currently seeking an Assignment Editor. The successful candidate will assist in the efficient operation of the assignment desk. He/she will also assist in the production of newscasts, and when required, will produce these shows.
• Responsible for the Assignment Desk.
• Assemble the daybook on i-news listing story ideas and daily newsworthy events.
• Monitor police and emergency scanners and electronic/printed sources for news and disseminate the information to appropriate newsroom personnel.
• Coordinate interviews and logistics for field crews.
• Facilitate the news gathering process and ensure comprehensive coverage of all news stories across all of platforms, including, but not limited to broadcast, digital and web.
• Collaborate with producers, anchors, reporters, photographers and other station personnel on a daily basis, to maximize resources and provide the best coverage during breaking news coverage and/or weather &emergency situations.
• Participate in editorial meetings; develop interesting story ideas using strong editorial judgment.
• Develop enterprise story ideas consistent with the news brand.
• Cultivate contacts important to news coverage in the Phoenix & Tucson areas, including law enforcement.
• Establish working relationships with Public Information Officers for updates on significant events and incidents.
• Follow other local news channels to monitor their news coverage.
• Produce & Assist with undercover special projects during sweeps.
• Cooperate with and support news and online platforms as assigned.
• Publishing of online content when required.
• Plan news coverage as directed by news management.
• Perform other duties as needed and as directed by news management.
• Keep news managers and producers informed on progress of new stories.
• Answer phones and take notes on viewer calls for possible story leads.
• Produce newscast when required.
• Experience in the Phoenix market and familiarity with Tucson Area audience and communities is preferred.
• Bachelor's degree in communications or in a related field.
• Prior experience as assignment editor, assignment manager, or other related experience.
• Solid news judgment, strong writing and research skills.
• Experience using online and social media resources as news researching tools (Accurint, LexisNexis, Facebook, etc.)
• Experience with newsroom computer applications.
• Demonstrated ability to solve problems, prioritize decisions, act decisively and successfully manage multiple assignments concurrently in a high pressure, breaking news, environment.
• Basic understanding and demonstration of solid editorial judgment and journalistic ethics, including a current knowledge of laws of libel, slander and applicable FCC rules and regulations.
• Thorough understanding satellite operations and microwave newsgathering technologies.
• Good collaborative and interpersonal skills to communicate at all levels.
• Bilingual: Spanish and English; both written and verbal.
• Understanding of emerging news production techniques and technology.
• Works well in a fast-paced, team environment.
• Works as needed when determined by news management.
• Must have a flexible schedule with ability to work any of a 24x7 shift and willingness to work long hours, weekends and holidays with short notice.
• Must be willing to work in Phoenix, AZ station.
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Must have a valid Driver’s License.
• Applicants must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Telemundo Station Group, part of the NBCUniversal Owned Television Stations division of NBCUniversal, is comprised of 28 owned television stations in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. Producing and broadcasting more than 7,000 hours of unique and relevant local content each year, including award-winning news, public affairs, and entertainment programming, Telemundo Station Group serves Spanish-speaking viewers in the metropolitan areas of Los Angeles, San Diego, New York, Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Orlando, Tampa, Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, El Paso, McAllen, Chicago, San Francisco Bay Area, San Antonio, Phoenix, Harlingen, Fresno, Denver, Philadelphia, Las Vegas, Boston, Tucson, Washington, DC, Connecticut, and Puerto Rico. In Addition, Telemundo Station Group operates TeleXitos, the national multicast network that offers viewers popular action and adventure television series and feature films in Spanish. The group also provides support to Telemundo affiliates across the country and manages dedicated local websites and applications, as well as a robust digital out-of-home operation.