About Your Role:
ThoughtCo.com, one of the largest and fastest growing education sites on the web, is seeking a full-time Associate Editor. As an Associate Editor, you will work directly with the General Manager to improve editorial content and user experience to grow traffic, audience engagement, and revenue. ThoughtCo is part of the Dotdash family; Verywell, The Spruce, TripSavvy, The Balance and Lifewire.
If you are as passionate about high-quality content and user experience as you are about Oxford commas, inclusive language, and formatting, then you might be the person we’re looking for.
About Your Contributions:
- Assign, review and edit content from freelance writers to make sure editorial best practices and brand positioning are met.
- Edit, update, and fact-check outdated content, including replacing outdated images, as needed.
- Work with team on ad-hoc projects with the goal of improving content quality
- Source potential new writers, scheduling phone interviews, reviewing writing samples and ultimately making recommendations for candidates.
- Curate and promote our best content via email newsletters, across site landing pages, and on social media.
- Use data and competitive analysis to identify new opportunities for ThoughtCo, including editorial gaps, site features, and content partnerships
- Work with Content Managers and General Manager to help shape and define editorial strategy, increase audience, and drive user engagement.
- Track competitive landscape to identify trends and opportunities within the space.
- Support GM in differentiating ThoughtCo from other general interest in the marketplace.
- Undergraduate degree
- 2+ years’ experience editing general interest or education content and curating digital content for web, email and social environments against business goals.
- Experience using web analytics tools; able to use data and revenue goals to inform and develop digital strategies and to identify topics of interest to a wide audience
- Proactive, flexible team player with a sense of humor and entrepreneurial energy, able to roll with the punches and take ownership in a fluid and fast-moving environment.
- The ability to work quickly, efficiently, and independently
- Strong writing, research, copywriting, and copyediting skills, with the ability to to transform articles from mediocre to amazing and to coach freelance writers to do the same
At ThoughtCo, we believe that learning is a never-ending process. Whether about science, history, math, or religion, our in-depth articles give readers the answers and information needed to be smart, informed and confident. We have over 59,000 articles written by dozens of expert writers, and help more than 12 million users learn more each month. ThoughtCo is a Dotdash brand and a Top 10 education site.
Dotdash's vibrant brands help over 100 million users each month find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. Dotdash is among the fastest-growing publishers online, and its brands are the fastest-growing in their respective categories. Dotdash brands include Verywell, The Spruce, The Balance, Lifewire, ThoughtCo, and TripSavvy.