Political Finance Reporter, CNBC.com
Location: Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
Function: Marketing & Communications
Specialty: Digital Marketing, Web Production
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Do you have a passion for politics and breaking news on the Trump Administration? CNBC.com seeks an exceptional politics reporter to join its team of editors and reporters in Washington, DC. The Political Finance Reporter will be responsible for conveying engaging, impactful content to an audience focused on business and money. Specifically aspects such as investing, finance, executive leadership, entrepreneurship, personal finance and wealth. We’re looking for an experienced reporter who breaks news, tapping sources in the White House, the Hill, federal agencies and elsewhere in DC. The applicant should have a track record of scoops, small-medium-large. And should not be intimidated if their story moves the stock market up or down. We are looking for a reporter who is excited to join an expanding team within an iconic news organization.
Responsibilities could include, but are not limited to:
Generate original story ideas and develop fresh angles for reported pieces on the big stories of the day
Take the lead on enterprise reporting, from interviewing sources to reporting in the field
Maintain an active presence on social media
Use and cultivate sources and contacts to bring home exclusives
Share information with broader CNBC network in a timely fashion
Be a self-starter hungry to break news, eager to jump on the day’s biggest talkers, pitch and report stories that are original, sharp and distinct
• Must have a bachelor's degree
• Minimum of 5 years of experience as a journalist breaking news and tapping sources on Wall Street, as well as in the fundraising arms of the major political parties, PACs and superPACs
• Strong writing skills - ability to write focused, muscular stories on tight deadlines, along with crafting long-form stories with voice and style - original, sharp, distinct
• A firm grasp of how money influences politics and policy: who’s running, what initiatives are they supporting, how it affects voters, who’s paying for it all
• Awareness of the key individuals and important institutions in Washington, and how those people and institutions interact with financiers and business figures on Wall Street and beyond
• An ability to break news from the world of political finance, on both the business and politics sides of the story
• An interest and understanding of video and alternative storytelling techniques, including data visualization, is a plus.
• Fluency in SEO, social-media and basic analytics is required.
• Willingness to travel and work overtime, and on weekends with short notice
• An innovator who wants to tell stories in a compelling way via social, mobile and desktop. Deep understanding of the nuances of packaging for the web, mobile web and social.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.