Assignment Desk Editor
- Full Time
Must be able to thrive in a highly collaborative work environment and when presented with a challenge, doesn’t quit until they find a solution.
THE PIX11 Assignment Editor must coordinate the gathering of news, generate story ideas, the scheduling and assignment of daily coverage, and the delivery of news material to reporters photographers and Tribune media partners.
Work with news management, producers and reporters to plan well-rounded news coverage. Maintain extensive working files of possible stories, background information and cultivate news sources, including multiple digital platforms.
Gather information about news as it develops and communicate it effectively and accurately to the production team. Collaborate with managers and producers to select stories for coverage and to keep them up to date. Schedule and order facilities including satellite time. Assign and coordinate the distribution of newsgathering equipment. Assist with the scheduling of reporters, truck op/editors/photographers.
Work accurately under pressure. Dispatch news crews, maintain schedule logs, deal with telephone story tips, listen to police radios, read newswires and e-mail, and stay in contact with sources in order to stay up to date with breaking news. Take an active role in planning next day coverage .
- Represent PIX11 News in a courteous and professional manner.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications preferred.
- Minimum of two years of journalism experience.
- Must have a commitment to journalistic standards of ethics and accuracy.
- Must possess the ability to communicate effectively with general knowledge and interest in local, national and world news, including knowledge of the New York Tri-state area
- Basic computer knowledge/word processing skills are preferred. Working knowledge of data mining and social media platforms
- Must have the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Must have the ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and holidays.