Senior Art Director
Grey Dog is a fast-paced, yet relaxed publishing house located in West Des Moines, Iowa, producing world-class custom media created to transform products, services or businesses into powerhouse brands. We offer a full benefits package, competitive salaries and great opportunities for advancement within the company.
Grey Dog Media seeks a full-time Senior Art Director to manage all aspects of design related to the production of assigned print and/or digital publications.
Responsibilities include creative concepting, directing photography, graphic design and typography. The Senior Art Director will also manage junior art staff in a manner that facilitates collaboration to meet deadlines and produce quality work for editorial staff.
OUR WORK INCLUDES:
Hy-Vee Balance Magazine covers a variety of health and fitness related topics, and features celebrities and athletes such as Harrison Barnes, Mark Wahlberg, Laurie Hernandez and more.
Hy-Vee Mega Ad, a publication featuring nutrition tips, fun recipes, and grocery deals.
Life:Beautiful, a women’s Christian lifestyle magazine, covers a variety of helpful topics with a Biblical perspective including craft projects, devotions, finance, health, home improvement, organization, travel, while featuring advice columnists such as Joyce Meyer and Dave Ramsey.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or related field
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as an Art Director, preferably on a consumer magazine
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite
- Solid understanding of the elements of design
- Advanced layout and typography skills
- Sophisticated sense of design, photography and typography
- Able to adapt skills to the aesthetics of each project
- Experience directing studio and location photography; experience photographing food and models preferred
- Able to interpret editorial direction and vision to align visual design with magazine content
- Exceptional problem solving and critical thinking skills; able to balance multiple priorities and demands simultaneously
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong leadership skills; able to provide clear, concise, and direct feedback to staff
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Able to work efficiently in a deadline-driven environment
- Maintains a positive attitude, even while working under pressure
- Able to work collaboratively while maintaining high standards
- General understanding of the prepress process
- Experience using MS Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred
- Web/Interactive Design experience preferred
Job Location: West Des Moines, Iowa
Benefits: Medical/Dental/401K/LTD/Life Ins./PTO
Compensation: 75k-110K depending on skill and experience