Senior Speech Writer, Office of the President
- Full Time
SENIOR SPEECH WRITER, OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
Job Req ID: 8329
The Senior Speech Writer will be a senior member of the writing team for a high-visibility President, focusing on major speeches, remarks, and public communications that articulate the vision and ideas for the University President. This position is a key role on the President’s speech writing team, which is led by the Director of Speechwriting and supported by and collaborates with colleagues across the Office of the President.
The Senior Speech Writer must have the curiosity and capacity to find and tell good stories and discover the perfect word for the right moment. They must demonstrate proven talent and progressively more senior experience in sophisticated writing and editing for varied and high-level audiences locally and around the world. They must be able to translate the strategic communications goals of the President and the University into compelling content across various media to advance our institution’s tripartite mission of education, discovery, and service to the world.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the job:
• As senior member of our speechwriting team, conceive, write, and edit speeches and other communications content for the President at numerous events and engagements.
• Work with the President and other senior members of the President’s Office and Office of Communications to produce high-level communications materials for multiple audiences across the full range of communications mediums, from initial concept to final product.
• Review and edit drafts of communications materials, talking points, and statements provided by other offices to ensure they reflect the University President’s style and priorities.
• Attend presidential speaking engagements on a regular basis. Provide feedback to senior members of the President’s Office on speaking engagements.
• Identify and explore new avenues to effectively communicate the President's message to the appropriate audiences.
• Monitor key issues and ideas in higher education, public policy, popular culture, and global affairs to ensure they are appropriately addressed and articulated.
• Develop and sustain contacts with university leadership, faculty, staff, and other constituents
• Demonstrate high capacity for diplomacy and discretion while working with sensitive information to advance the priorities of the Office of the President.
The position requires a Bachelor's degree and 7-10 years related experience. Advanced degree is preferred. Special skills and knowledge:
• Demonstrated creativity and capacity to conceive, draft, edit and bring to successful completion speeches and communications products for wide-ranging audiences across various media.
• Exceptional oral and written communications skills.
• Superior knowledge of grammar usage and editorial style guidelines.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively through a detail-oriented editorial process.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain the utmost discretion and diplomacy and progressively significant experience working with high-level individuals.
• Demonstrated curiosity about academia and higher education, public policy, research, and popular culture preferred.
NOTE: Please include three writing samples with resume and cover letter.
Classified Title: Sr. Speech Writer
Starting Salary Range ($s): Commensurate with experience Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 8:30 - 5:00
Employee Subgroup: Exempt
Location: Homewood Campus
Personnel area (School): University Administration Department name: Office of President
Johns Hopkins University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. The university promotes affirmative action for minorities, women, disabled persons, and veterans.