VisitBritain is the official tourist board for England, Scotland and Wales and is responsible for marketing Great Britain worldwide to prospective travellers. Our mission is to build the value of tourism throughout Britain by increasing brand awareness and market share in the USA.
Based in our Los Angeles office, this position will play an important role in executing the US integrated marketing communications plan, including supporting communications across all owned, earned and paid channels, with a focus on engaging media and customers, through the right channel, to share the Britain brand story and turn inspiration into visitor conversion.Note: Under US State Department requirements, we may only employ, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A visa holders. If you hold a visa other than an A visa, you are not currently eligible to work for us
Competencies - Specific to Job:
- 8+ years communications experience, preferably in travel, lifestyle, entertainment with a proven track record of achieving targets and objectives.
- Degree in Media, Marketing, Communications or PR desirable.
- Outstanding writing skills and a strong sense of what is newsworthy
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills with experience communicating successfully at all decision-making levels.
- Excellent US media contacts – particularly in travel and lifestyle media as well as relevant influencers (YouTube, Instagram, SnapChat, etc.)
- Contacts and experience working with film and tv marketing/communications would be desirable.
- Good understanding of marketing disciplines, with knowledge of how to leverage digital channels & platforms to enhance marketing & communications activity
- Experience supporting, delivering & evaluating integrated marketing campaigns
- Logistical event planning experience media, travel, entertainment.
- Comfortable with data and an analytical approach to inform activity
- Good understanding of US market dynamics & culture, including key consumer trends
- Understanding of Britain – it’s culture and the destination
- Flexibility – ability to manage a number of projects simultaneously
- Excellent proficiency across all Microsoft Office applications – especially Outlook, PowerPoint & Excel
- Willingness & ability to work occasional evenings and weekends and to travel domestically and to the UK as needed. Right to work in the US and valid driver’s license and passport.
Competencies - Generic:
Championing tourism to Britain
- Engaged with VB’s strategy and vision and can demonstrably contribute towards delivering these.
- Able to focus on a clear goal in all actions and decisions and openly articulate this to your team colleagues
- A true advocate for Britain and tourism
Being the best
- Good knowledge of Britain’s tourism product and VB’s business with enthusiasm to constantly update skills and knowledge
- Keen to share own and VB’s expertise with external organisations and individuals
- Awareness that VB is a public body which needs to deliver and demonstrate value and probity in everything we do
- Open-minded and ‘can-do’ attitude which encourages innovation, embraces change and displays resilience against adversity
- Participate fully as a team member in building an atmosphere of openness, honesty, respect, co-operation and fun
- Visible, approachable, accountable and available
Serving our customers
- Able to have an effective relationship with all customers and meet their expectations
- Continually looking for opportunities to work in partnership with other teams and/or external organisations
- Inspire and empower other people by demonstrating trust, openly valuing their expertise and clearly stating your expectations
1) Publicity & Media Relations
- Work with the senior management team, to develop and implement annual integrated communications strategy for the USA.
- Lead on maintaining and engaging with a network of key media contacts in Western USA, while supporting media efforts across the USA, to enable delivery of VB’s strategic objectives, proactively pitching key themes & ideas. Ensure all contacts are segmented on a central database.
- Run a programme of journalist, broadcast & influencer visits to the UK with key media partners to generate inspirational coverage of the destination for target customer segments.
- Proactively identify new media and content partners to increase Britain’s profile across key communications channels – including marketing trade, travel trade, business visits and events, consumer and corporate news media.
- Take a multi-platform approach to all projects, ensuring that as many business objectives are being met as possible.
- Organize several face to face meetings with key media/influencers on the west coast and in key media markets where required.
- Organize and manage a variety of events: launches, round-tables, trade shows, etc.
- Contribute to the maintenance of the USA VisitBritain online media centre;
- Produce regular e-communications, press releases and story ideas for key contacts in line with their needs.
- Proactively pitch media newsworthy stories and events to generate coverage without visiting the UK.
- Work closely with the UK tourism industry, building relationships, with major partners in particular – e.g. large hotel chains, airlines or industry associations - encourage and facilitate joint projects and marketing in-kind. Secure sponsorship for visiting media.
- Cultivate a strong relationship with strategic destination partners (London, Scotland, Wales, English regions), and ensure they are kept fully updated of PR plans
- With the support of the PR & Marketing Assistant, ensure that all media coverage is evaluated & coverage highlights are shared with internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead media/influencer groups to the UK ensuring story objectives are met and align with the Britain brand. Pitch key messages
- Write social media content for twitter, facebook and any other platforms as required.
- Write briefing documents for visiting management from NYC and London including CEO, Chairman and EVP
- Contribute to the ongoing development of the PR strategy where needed coming up with timely and realistic ideas.
- Good understanding of broadcast media and you tubers and what their needs and requirements are.
- Good understanding of crisis communications and issue management including reputational damage.
2) Marketing & Brand Communications
- “Own” the customer, providing key intelligence & evidence to the rest of the business on who our target customers in the USA are and how best to adapt the marketing & communications mix to reach the customer with relevant content/messaging
- Working closely with the US team and the London Marketing team, ensure world-class delivery across marketing campaigns, projects & collateral. Specifically, provide input, support & guidance for the delivery of tactical/ brand marketing activity in the US as required, including across areas such as media buy, creative, content/ messaging, events and evaluation.
- Deliver marketing activity in-market as required; serve as lead on Film Tourism and entertainment campaigns and promotions.
- Identify opportunities within the entertainment space both with film, television and music space that could be good for British tourism and support our brand direction.
- Identify, vet and negotiate suitable content and influencer partnerships to drive brand awareness and conversion.
- Work closely with the PR and content teams in the Americas and the UK to deliver compelling content for the USA market; contribute to overall content strategy.
- Leverage extensive media contacts to negotiate branded entertainment integrations to compliment campaign and brand marketing priorities.
- Support the delivery of all in-market campaign launch activity – including media and consumer events and supporting PR, social and digital strategies.
3) Cross Government Working
- Confidently and positively represent VisitBritain within the British Consulate General, LA and Department of International Trade
- Champion the tourism agenda within the Consulate – ensuring its importance remains seen amongst key stakeholders (i.e. CG, DCG, visiting VIPs)
- Participate in cross-government meetings and share important insights and news with wider North American team. Represent VisitBritain in cross-government meetings and share insights and news with the wider North American team.
- Participate, when needed, in GREAT campaign activity, leading on behalf of VB on relevant consumer facing activity.
- Be a tourism ambassador for Britain ensuring that the tourism industry is recognised and highly valued within the consulate and with the British partners.
4) Financial Budgeting and Control
- Ensure that all activity is delivered on time and on budget
- Ensure that resources are effectively deployed and constantly monitor value for money
- Ensure all financial & procurement procedures are followed and carefully managed
- Deliver all budget reports and expenses on a monthly basis.
- Identify any costs saving reductions and best value for money.
- Identify co-op opportunities and sponsorship for PR and marketing activity where possible.
5) Research and Insights
- Build an intimate knowledge of the marketplace to support regional and global decisions and investments.
- Ensure that key market insights are communicated to the North American and global teams and work with the research team in London.
- Keep abreast of what our competitors are doing and how we can beat them.
- Identify any media or marketing trends that could work in our favour to grow tourism.
6) Global Working
- Build close relationships with colleagues in the region and globally to exchange best practice, innovation, creativity and ensure continuous improvement.
- Maintain a culture of teamwork, achievement, accountability and outcome focus.
- Work with a collaborative team spirit focused on service delivery to both internal and external clients.
- Support the Executive Vice President and the Senior Vice President as required.