Senior Designer - Penguin Workshop
Posted: 3/13/2018 | Expires: 4/10/2018
Location: New York, New York
Function: Writing & Editing
Specialty: Graphic Design
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Company: Penguin Random House LLC
Requisition ID: 16746
The Penguin Young Readers group is looking for a Senior Designer who will be responsible for designing and managing approximately 25 children’s books per year for newly-launched Penguin Workshop.
This imprint publishes approximately 150 titles a year, creating every kind of children’s book for every kind of child. Focused on ages 0-12, they offer middle grade fiction, original paperback series, leveled readers, nonfiction, and licenses to captivate even the most reluctant of readers.
In addition to best-selling chapter books, award-winning Readers, and the ever-popular Mad Libs, the group expands in-house brands including The Little Engine That Could, The World of Eric Carle, and Llama Llama, and continues the legacy of Beatrix Potter. They are leaders in the nonfiction market with their Who Was? program and work with top licensors on media tie-in publishing.
Specifically, the Senior Designer:
* Designs and manages all stages of book production—for both covers and interiors— approximately 25 children’s book titles per year. Responsibilities herein include hiring and directing illustrators, working with freelance designers, trafficking material for approval, maintaining schedules, and preparing files for output.
* Works collaboratively with all members of the team from concept to finish.
* Effectively communicates with artists and agents.
* Maintains and strictly adheres to production schedules.
* Remains current on art, design, and publishing trends.
* Takes a creative lead by bringing new ideas as well as expertise to the design team.
* Assists the Art Director as needed.
* Works with other in-house departments to ensure materials requests are met in a timely and effective manner.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
* Minimum of 5 years of experience working in a design capacity, preferably with children’s books
* Interest in children’s publishing
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Ability to manage competing priorities while adhering to deadlines in a fast-paced environment
* Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
* Advanced knowledge of Adobe’s Creative Suite programs, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
* Interest in video games, comic books, and children’s animation genres, a plus
To apply, please submit your portfolio, resume, and cover letter.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.