Director of Content
As Whitman’s most senior writer and editor, the content director will execute an integrated content strategy created in partnership with the vice president for communications and senior director of communications, and manage the day-to-day content creation for whitman.edu, Whitman Magazine, admissions and fundraising materials, and other print and digital communications.
- Work with the senior director to implement a coordinated cross-channel content strategy that advances the priorities of the College and includes a full range of print and digital tools (e.g. print publications, online advertising, search engine optimization, email, video, podcasts, electronic newsletters, social media, content syndication, websites, and web databases) to facilitate content delivery.
- Oversee the day-to-day development of content creation for the college’s print publications and digital channels, including assigning stories and content development to both staff and freelance writers/producers. Directly supervise/manage the senior writer and editor, staff writer, and video producer.
- Ensure appropriate oversight of all content channels through effective policies, procedures, budget, structures, and deadlines.
- Through broad supervision of the senior writer/editor (who serves as the managing editor of Whitman Magazine), oversee the editorial direction of the magazine to ensure overall quality, accuracy, timeliness and appropriateness of content.
- Research, write, edit and produce content for print, digital and social media, that informs, interests and engages both internal and external audiences.
- Utilize web analytics and other qualitative and quantitative approaches to measuring the success of content across channels and continually improve the impact of Whitman’s content.
- Interact with members of the campus community to find stories that align with and strengthen various overarching college themes and that help fulfill strategic communications objectives.
- Oversee copyediting, proofreading and fact checking; maintain the College's editorial style guide.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that he or she possesses the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations.
- A sophisticated understanding of how to recognize, develop and tell compelling stories in print and digital media
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- A strong understanding of the digital and multimedia content development process
- A strong visual sense and understanding of how design supports editorial content
- Leadership, management and supervisory skills.
- Strong organization, time management, and budgeting skills.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of flexibility, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Ability to work collaboratively and congenially with college staff, students, faculty, and alumni.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work long hours performing common office functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism or a related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Five years of experience in a related field required. Knowledge of and familiarity with an academic environment preferred.
- Strong computer skills required.