Deputy Editor, Global Citizen
- Full Time
About Global Citizen
Our mission is to build a movement of 100MM Global Citizens whose actions will help achieve our vision of a world without extreme poverty by 2030.
Global Citizen is a movement of engaged citizens who are using their collective voice to end extreme poverty by 2030. On our platform, Global Citizens learn about the systemic causes of extreme poverty, take action on those issues, and earn rewards for their actions — as part of a global community committed to lasting change.
So far, more than 13 million actions have been taken by Global Citizens, leading to $35 billion commitments being made by world leaders, which are set to affect 1.3 billion lives by 2030.
About the Position
Working under the direction of the editor-in-chief, the deputy editor is a critical role on the content team of Global Citizen. The deputy editor is the linchpin of a team that spans four continents, consisting of writers, video producers and social media editors. The deputy editor not only sets the tone of our content every day by assigning and editing news content, but s/he also ensures the editorial team is hitting the strategic goals and KPIs of the organization. To do this, the deputy editor works closely with our Senior Growth Editor and Video Director and other senior leaders of the organization, includes policy, talent, and partnerships.
The deputy editor also manages a young team of writers and interns, responsible for shaping their writing on a sentence level as well as providing longer-term training and direction on journalism practices.
- Assign daily news stories to a team of six writers based in NYC, Toronto, and London, across the policy issues of Global Citizen.
- Top edit and copy edit daily news stories and longer-form features and profiles.
- Manage the short-term and long-term editorial planning process for news events, campaigns, festivals, and more.
- Work with senior leaders of Global Citizen to ensure editorial content at Global Citizen is hitting various KPIs and strategic goals of the organization.
- Work with Growth Editor to understand daily, weekly and monthly metrics reporting and factor our metrics into daily and weekly story assigning.
- Manage a team of young writers, teaching them best practices of journalism and writing.
- Support the editor-in-chief in various projects as needed.
- At least 5 years experience in a digital newsroom, and be well-versed in the practices of journalism.
- Excellent news judgment and ability to connect the news of the day to our core issues and policy campaigns.
- Deep understanding of social media platforms and how to create and package content in a way that will engage our audience.
- At least 2 years experience as a people manager.
- A basic understanding of the issues surrounding extreme poverty and the SDGs, specifically gender equality, hunger, water, environment, citizenship, education, and health.
Please submit a resume and portfolio with your application.