Vice President of Brand Marketing and Communications
- Full Time
Are you a storyteller at heart? We have a great story to tell, and we’re looking for the right person to help us tell it.
The Penny Hoarder, one of the nation’s largest personal finance news brands, is seeking a VP of marketing and communications. You’ll play a key role in the growth of the company, leading our marketing division as we work to achieve one of the company’s strategic goals: to make The Penny Hoarder a household name.
We’re well on our way, with 12-20 million unique readers a month and a #1 spot on the Inc. 5000 as the fastest-growing private media company. We now need a seasoned and innovative marketing executive who can amplify our brand. Your work will make a difference around the country and the world, helping people everywhere stress less about money.
In this position, you’ll…
- Tell The Penny Hoarder story. Develop and implement a strategic marketing plan to get more people talking about and visiting The Penny Hoarder, positioning us as a trusted publisher and a digital media empire, both with our readers and within our industry.
- Hire, lead and mentor a team of marketing, communication, and public relations professionals.
- Work with both in-house and external resources to conduct a brand audit and successfully implement changes that enhance our brand identity.
- Work with the media buying team and/or outside agencies to oversee a million dollar branding effort with a special emphasis on events and in-person marketing. Define the media schedule, negotiate the rates, prepare the deliverables and execute. Follow up and measure the effectiveness of campaigns.
- Create meaningful relationships with our readers, including but limited to creating an ambassador or influencer program.
- Develop and implement a marketing calendar that highlights The Penny Hoarder’s original journalism and storytelling.
- Lead and manage internal communications, engaging all stakeholders to create a transparent and value-driven culture.
- Build relationships with media and stakeholders through creative PR strategies; manage all aspects of media relations including crisis communication.
- Develop internal talent and spokespeople that can shares our corporate values and original journalism on partner platforms.
- Create strategic partnership and alliances that ensures The Penny Hoarder is highly visible and properly positioned and referenced. Ensure proper representation at industry events.
- Work with the Creative department to ensure a consistent look and feel among all collateral materials.
- Create a culture where analytics drive decision-making. Oversee and provide direction on market and competitor analysis.
- Work with the CEO and executive team to develop and enhance corporate strategy, create innovate new products and enhance the culture and employee experience.
We’re looking for someone with...
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in journalism, communications, marketing or related field is encouraged, but not required.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in a senior management role, preferably at a publisher.
- Superior leadership and management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
- Experience building a brand and keeping a team focused on projects that will “move the needle.”
- Strong verbal and oral communication skills.
- High level of emotional intelligence is key in this role.
- Creative and out-of-the box thinking with the ability to stretch marketing dollars for a meaningful return on investment.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top-tier producers, reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements.
- We need someone who can build rapport quickly with our local community.
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization's mission and goals.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Passion for The Penny Hoarder’s mission.
About Taylor Media
Taylor Media is a digital media startup based in beautiful and walkable St. Petersburg, Florida. We run The Penny Hoarder, a website about interesting ways to earn and save money. Our mission is to provide valuable, relevant tips and inspirational stories that help people put more money in their pockets.
In 2017, Inc. 5000 ranked The Penny Hoarder as the No. 1 fastest-growing private media company in the U.S. for the second consecutive year, and #25 on the overall list of the fastest-growing private companies in America. We’re bootstrapped and profitable, with a brand new state-of-the-art headquarters. Our bold, kind, lead with spark team is one of innovation and progress, and we promote a strengths-based culture that offers our employees room to learn and grow.
Perks of joining us include: Full health insurance coverage, three weeks of vacation time plus seven paid holidays, unlimited sick days, generous retirement plan, parking and communications allowance and an annual learning stipend.