The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF) was founded in 2000 with one clear objective: accelerating meaningful therapeutic advances and, ultimately, a cure for Parkinson’s disease (PD). The Foundation applies extraordinary scientific, business and media assets to this singular focus—thus creating a unique and dynamic organization. Since inception, MJFF has quickly grown into the largest global funder of Parkinson’s disease research outside the U. S. federal government, having funded over $750 million in research projects in both academic and industry labs worldwide.
Core to our philosophy is how we think of our capital and its risk profile relative to other stakeholders in the drug development pipeline. We work aggressively to de-risk various therapeutic strategies and tools in the hopes of building a robust pipeline of new treatments for patients. In order to achieve our mission of finding a cure for PD it is critical that we engage with, and bring together, members of the PD community including researchers, physicians, health professionals and most important, people with Parkinson's and their families. We believe that raising the Foundation’s profile with a broader audience will help us more efficiently reach and mobilize highly engaged stakeholders who are more likely to feel personally vested in helping speed progress toward a cure.
We believe that to find a cure for PD as quickly as possible, our capital needs to push research forward today—we therefore deliberately have no endowment. We instead start our fundraising from zero each year and seek to deploy funds raised as quickly and wisely as possible. MJFF raises over $90 million annually. Today, the Foundation has approximately 130 full-time employees who are based in New York City. We offer a collegiate and collaborative environment where problem-solvers and entrepreneurial, resourceful individuals can thrive and make a tangible difference for millions of people living with Parkinson’s disease.
The Creative Director will lead a reorganized Creative and Production group to design effective creative assets that educate, inspire and engage Foundation stakeholders. Working closely with the Foundation’s Marketing and Communications groups, the Creative Director will serve as a centralized point of leadership and counsel on creative development serving audience development, engagement and conversion to programmatic and fundraising initiatives. This position is right for a seasoned leader with broad-based experience in directing graphic design (from basic layouts to brand identities and logos), photography, illustration, infographics, video, copy and other materials that enhance and evolve the Foundation’s brand presence while increasing our ability to connect with and engage our core audiences.
This newly created on-staff position will oversee the work of on-staff and freelance creative contributors including graphic designers and video producers, serving as a partner, sounding board and confident leader of these activities and ensuring that materials adhere to brand and graphic standards. The Creative Director must be comfortable working in both print and digital formats.
- Create/evolve on-brand, beautiful and functional marketing and communications materials to visually unify a variety of media and tactics including:
- Leading creative development of print and digital collateral/publications such as:
- event invitations
- direct mail
- print and e-newsletters
- Partnering with UX Designer and web development team on MJFF web properties (including contributing to process flows and wireframes for new Web pages and microsites as they are added)
- Lead development and art-direct photography, illustrations and iconography
- Lead brand oversight and stewardship, including establishing consistent brand/sub-brand graphic standards and hierarchies
- Partner with subject-matter content experts on the conceptualization and development of timelines, infographics and other effective visual representations as needed for effective communication of complex subject matter
- Manage two FTE production coordinators (publications and video)
- Lead the hiring, scoping, onboarding and briefing of agency teams and freelance creative contributors; direct creative contributions and shepherd through approval process
- Manage creative and production budgets
- Perform other duties as assigned
The Creative Director will be a key leader within Marketing/Communications and must bring the ability to shepherd creative concepts from idea to delivery — conceptualizing visual storytelling strategy, leading on brand stewardship, supervising all graphic design, and overseeing production. This work will include interpreting and evolving existing assets as well as developing new designs and expressions of the Foundation’s brand.
The successful candidate will hold a Bachelor's degree in fine art, graphics or visual communications (or equivalent work experience), and a minimum of 8 to 10 years of experience. Must also possess:
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- A portfolio demonstrating excellent design skills and ability to execute high-level digital and print creative solutions
- Familiarity with typestyles, type design and type specification
- Knowledge of web design and print production processes
- Management experience
- Experience managing agency teams and printers as well as independent graphic designers, copy writers, video producers and the like
- Excellent project/time management
- Life sciences experience a plus, but not required
Given the high volume and fast pace of work at MJFF, we can consider only those candidates with a proven track record of managing multiple projects at once and meeting tight/competing deadlines.
This is an onsite position in our New York City (Midtown West) office and is not conducive to telecommuting.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume, links to a portfolio or relevant work samples, and thoughtful cover letter describing their specific qualifications and interest in the position.
Submissions without cover letters will not be considered. Please, no telephone inquiries and do not contact our staff directly. Only applicants who best match the position needs will be contacted.
The Michael J. Fox Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.