- Full Time
Deadline to apply: Sunday, 15th April 2018, 11:59 EST (US)
SumOfUs is looking for an experienced communications expert to fill a senior leadership role. This is a full-time position based in the Eastern Standard Time zone in the US (to enable collaboration with team members globally). The Director of Communications will be an integrated part of our team responsible for high-level branding, communications, and public relations, as well as the day-to-day work implementing those strategies. The ideal candidate has 6+ years of communications and high-level strategy experience and will come in as a senior member of the SumOfUs team.
If you're a strategic thinker who knows that great communications can be the different between winning and losing a campaign, and if you enjoy days that span pitching stories, to briefing branding agencies, to supporting our staff team to take their media skills to the next level, then this could be the perfect role for you!
A bit about us:
SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.
In an age of multinational companies that are bigger and richer than some countries, it can be easy to feel powerless. But there is a chink in their armour. The biggest corporations in the world rely on ordinary people to keep them in business. We are their customers, their employees, and often their investors. When we act together, we can be more powerful than they are. Together, our community of millions act as a global consumer watchdog – running and winning campaigns to hold the biggest companies in the world accountable.
Here are some things you might do:
Overall communications & brand strategy
- Work with senior management to develop an integrated communications plan that will advance our work and strengthen the SumOfUs brand
- Work with SumOfUs staff and agencies to build our brand and overall narrative -- online and in social media, with the press, our corporate and political targets, and our community, partners, and donors
- Develop and execute an earned media strategy for the overall organization as well as specific campaigns, with focus on delivering campaign impact
- Strengthen our processes for engaging rapidly with relevant news stories when they break
- Offer campaign advice to adapt our existing campaigns to meet the media cycle, and contribute to identifying key campaign moments that surface in the news cycle in key countries
- Position and pitch the executive director and other staff as regular commentators and spokespeople on our campaigns and related issues
- Serve as a spokesperson for SumOfUs with online, print, radio and TV press, as needed
- Train SumOfUs staff on media and coach/prep/debrief them for specific interviews
- Design, write, execute, and manage the development and distribution of print and electronic materials related to press and communications strategy -- including, but not limited to, website, social media, brochures, overviews, case studies, field research
- Dive in and do the day-to-day work of helping to draft press releases and opinion pieces, while keeping an eye on the bigger picture of how SumOfUs is representing ourselves out in the world
- Hire and manage communications consultants and SumOfUs staff
- Serve on SumOfUs’s Organizational Leadership Team, which guides overall organizational strategy
- And other roles, as needed.
We need someone who:
- Has experience building a strategic communications plan for an campaigning organization
- Has a track record of bending the traditional media to cover campaigns, and experience offering advice on how to adapt campaigns to be more press-worthy
- Has a deep grasp of social media and finger on the pulse of the changing global media landscape in the digital era, understands the implications of that changing landscape for SumOfus, and is prepared to innovate and experiment to seize advantages the landscape presents
- Has demonstrated talent writing/creating media content, especially press statements and opinion pieces
- Has demonstrated people & project management skills
- Is dedicated to building a fairer and more sustainable global economy
- Is familiar with the MoveOn/Avaaz/38 Degrees/GetUp model of rapid-response online organizing
- Is fluent in written and spoken English
Big pluses include:
- Has existing relationships with reporters likely to cover our work -- with beats from the electronics industry to climate change to key regulatory bodies like the SEC
- Proficiency in major world languages other than English -- especially German, French or Spanish
- Experience working closely with communities affected by corporate accountability issues -- from indigenous communities to low-wage workers
- Knowledge of and relationships with policy experts and campaigning groups in key issue areas (e.g., privacy, tax justice, the global financial system, and food issues)
- Experience managing or developing strategy for market/corporate campaigns, especially against multinational corporations
- Experience working for a large corporation, especially working closely with decision-makers at multinational corporations in a business/PR/CSR context
- Experience working in or closely with the labour movement or socially responsible investing community
- Deep understanding of the operations, structures, regulations, and incentives within a key industry or corporate sector -- mining, finance, agriculture, etc
- Extensive network of community organizations, non-profits and advocacy groups, and a political understanding of key world regions
- Experience working with video producers or producing short-form video content for platforms such as Facebook, or Instagram
- Fundraising experience and/or relationships with potential individual donors or foundations
We have no formal education requirements – if you can do and grow with the job, that’s all that matters.
Compensation is competitive and will be determined based on a combination of experience, seniority, and where you live. (For some context: This position in New York City would pay between $95,000 and $110,000 depending on experience and seniority; the compensation level will be adjusted in other regions based on cost of living.)
We offer significant benefits, including five weeks paid vacation (plus additional sick leave and all major public holidays off and 6 months parental leave), contributions to retirement, and the ability to work from home and set your own hours. We cover 100% of a private health insurance premium for employees and dependents who live in countries without public insurance. We are happy to answer any questions you have about our parental leave policies and other, similar benefits in interviews.
The Communications Director will report to the Executive Director or Managing DIrector, depending on what makes the most sense.
SumOfUs is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of SumOfUs to provide equal employment opportunity to all applicants for employment and employees and not to discriminate because of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation. Equal employment opportunities will be provided in employment, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
People from communities that traditionally experience discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity or immigration status; women; people with disabilities; and LGBTQ+ people are especially encouraged to apply.