Program Associate, Media Programming
The Stanley Foundation is looking for candidates with interests in media, journalism, international policy, foreign affairs, storytelling, designing and producing events, and advancing global peace and security - and who ideally have some related real world experience.
The Stanley Foundation - a nonpartisan, private operating foundation focused on advancing multilateral action to create fair, just, and lasting solutions to critical issues of peace and security - seeks a Program Associate to join its Policy Programming Department. The chosen candidate will work with the program officer for media programming, others on the Policy Programming team, and other Foundation staff to support the conceptualization and implementation of the Foundation's media programming in pursuit of our mission, vision, and organizational goals. Currently Foundation programming focuses on three global peace and security threats: climate change, nuclear weapons, and mass violence and atrocities. More information about the Foundation and our work can be found at www.stanleyfoundation.org
The program associate will contribute to the Foundation’s efforts to engage media through programming in order to advance its policy goals and broad mission. Media programming includes workshops, story labs, trainings, briefings, forums, reporting projects, and fellowships for journalists and other media practitioners. It also includes facilitating the participation of members of the media at policy-oriented events.
The program associate will work in close collaboration with the program officer for media programming as part of a two-person team responsible for:
- Developing the Foundation’s strategy for its media programming through a collaborative process with the director of policy-programming strategy, the policy-programming team, and the director of communications.
- Conceptualizing and implementing media-programming activities aimed at engaging journalists, editors, and others in media about the profound threats of climate change, nuclear weapons, and mass violence and atrocities, and how they need to be addressed through improved international policy and multilateral action.
- Collaborating across departments and with other organizations to deliver high-impact, media-oriented programming.
- Working with the director of policy-programming strategy to assess the impact of the Foundation’s media programming.
- Program Support: The program associate will provide support to the program officer for media programming and work across Foundation departments and with other organizations to implement programming activities that contribute to the Foundation’s policy goals and strategy. The program associate may be required to travel within the United States and internationally to participate in programming or other events organized by the Stanley Foundation, its partners, or others. Responsibilities of the program associate include:
- Researching, tracking, and monitoring media influencers, media organizations, participants in previous media programming, and new targets across the foundation’s three issue areas.
- Drafting text for various internal and external documents or communications channels related to programming implementation or foundation process.
- Liaising with the Communications Department and others as needed on foundation communications, outreach, and publications.
- Liaising with the Operations Department when planning for and organizing programming events.
- Keeping the program officer for media programming, as well as others on the policy-programming team and colleagues in other departments, well informed of developments and progress on assigned activities.
- Networking and Relationship Cultivation: Because collaboration with other organizations is a key element of the Stanley Foundation’s work, the program associate will assist with networking and maintaining strong and supportive ties with key organizational partners. As a member of an institution with a strong vision for positive change, the program associate will display the determination and excitement of the mission through daily engaged and positive relationships with peers in and beyond the organization. Responsibilities of the program associate include:
- Supporting the Foundation’s media-oriented networking and relationship cultivation by tracking media trends and the work of current partners and researching potential new partners and programming models.
- Assisting collaborations with outside partners by scheduling and being a part of planning meetings, drafting documents (e.g., agendas and invitation lists), and other related tasks.
- Learning: The program associate will participate in the learning process as it relates to the Foundation’s policy-programming cycles. This includes working with the program officer for media programming to incorporate lessons learned from activity-specific evaluations as well as adjusting programming to reflect feedback from midterm and end-of-cycle evaluations for each of the issue areas. Responsibilities of the program associate include working with the program officer for media programming, and outside partners as needed, to administer post-activity assessment surveys
- Team Contribution: As a member of the policy-programming team, the program associate will contribute to cross-team learning for assessing broader organizational impact. The program associate will contribute to internal reporting mechanisms and procedures, as needed, and will utilize excellent communication and collaboration skills as a member of the Stanley Foundation team.
- A bachelor’s degree with course work in journalism, media, mass communications, or a related field.
- Some practical experience interacting with journalists and/or media organizations and a demonstrated familiarity with a variety of media platforms.
- An interest in international policy, particularly subject areas related to the foundation’s vision, mission, or programming focus.
- An interest in gaining knowledge of and experience with programming implementation.
- Strong organizational, communication (written and spoken), and analytical skills.
- The ability to track details and manage multidirectional information flows across multiple issue areas in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated collaborative skills on behalf of shared goals in a team setting.
- The ability to maintain poise under pressure.
- The ability to connect larger ideas with the practical realities of their accomplishment.
- Dynamic networking and relationship cultivation and maintenance skills.
Additional desirable traits include:
- Project- or program-implementation experience, including a proven capacity to set goals and meet deadlines and schedules.
- Exposure to effective garnered media attention to or communications around international policy issues.
- Foreign language skills.
- International study/travel/living experience.
The program associate works under the direction of the program officer for media programming and reports to the director of policy-programming strategy. The position requires frequent travel. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Deadline for application: This position will remain open until filled.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation or other characteristic protected by law.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, references, and create a brief writing sample that explains in a clear, direct way how the media interacts with policy change.
Apply for Program Associate, Media Programming
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly