Destination News Editor, AFAR.com
- Full Time
AFAR Media is seeking a Destination News Editor to join our digital editorial team in San Francisco or New York. The ideal candidate will be passionate about travel and thrive on creating smart, engaging digital content for a discerning audience of obsessively curious, sophisticated travelers. In this role, s/he will play a crucial role in helping us increase our coverage of destination news. The ideal candidate will manage and develop a global network of go-to writers; commission engaging, timely stories for AFAR.com, email newsletter, and social media channels; and write quick news hits on a daily basis. We’re looking for an editor with a passion for getting the story first and who can file under tight deadlines without sacrificing tone, quality, or attention to detail. Excellent story ideation, editing, headline writing, and packaging skills are a must, as is the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Assign, edit, write, and produce multiple stories a day, centered around a destination’s new attractions, restaurants, cultural events, airline routes, local tours, up-and-coming neighborhoods, and more.
- Manage and develop a network of go-to writers in destinations around the world to create engaging and timely articles, events coverage, and local news.
- Work closely with our social media and email newsletter teams to identify and commission timely, actionable stories.
- Mine press releases and social media to craft quick, daily news hits.
- Seek out and report on the latest travel news and trends.
- Maintain and develop deep relationships with tourism boards and PR agencies to keep ahead of current travel news and trends.
- Generate ideas for new columns and ongoing reporting projects.
- Represent AFAR at destination events and deskside meetings.
- Minimum of 3 years of editorial experience at a fast-paced digital media brand; travel or lifestyle expertise preferred.
- Experience commissioning, editing, and writing a high volume of daily content
- Facility with turning anything (a tweet, a press release) into pure travel gold
- Thrive on using social media data to inform story ideas and development
- Craft sharp headlines and compelling copy that drive engagement
- Possess excellent news judgment (you know a good idea when you see one)
- Manage the cadence of short turn-around assignments and longer lead stories with aplomb
- Capable of working at a fast pace and shifting priorities to meet deadlines
- Work well both independently and as part of a close-knit team
- Ability to recruit, cultivate, and retain top freelance reporting talent
- Be a proactive self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and collaboration skills.
- Have a passion for travel, and be interested in conceptualizing new and interesting ways to look at travel.
Please send a resume with relevant clips of work you’ve written or edited, as well as salary requirements, with the subject line “Destination News Editor”.