Assistant Editor, News
- Full Time
Writes news, and writes and/or edits other articles as assigned, for publication in Chemical Engineer Progress (CEP).
- Responsible for identifying, researching, and writing front-of-book news monthly, as well as several longer, feature-length news stories throughout the year. This will involve identifying newsworthy developments in the field of chemical engineering and the chemical process industries (CPI) and suggesting editorial coverage.
- Write several department columns, including the Leadership Q&A and Profile.
- Work with other departments within AIChE on columns and special articles, such as the annual initial placement survey of graduating chemical engineers and the biennial salary survey.
- Edit and/or ghost-write Global Outlook articles as scheduled.
- Layout articles with Adobe Creative Suite software. This will include working with the art/design department to prepare appropriate graphics.
- Copyedit and proofread other editors’ articles as assigned.
- Contribute posts and comments to AIChE’s blog (ChEnected) and chemical engineering community discussion forum (AIChE Engage).
- Represent CEP both internally (to other departments) and externally (to the chemical engineering community, the CPI, and vendors of CPI equipment and services
- Other responsibilities to be assigned by manager
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism with a strong science background; Master’s degree in science journalism highly preferred.
- 2-5 years experience (including internships).
- Demonstrated reporting, writing, and editing skills.
- Excellent reading and reasoning skills.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work independently and contribute to a team.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator preferred, or experience with comparable page layout and design software.
- Respect for deadlines and attention to detail are paramount.
Competitive salary commensurate with education and experience.
Interested candidates may email their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
The American Institute of Chemical Engineers is an Equal Opportunity Employer.