Assistant Editor, News
Writes news, and writes and/or edits other articles as assigned, for publication in Chemical Engineer Progress (CEP).
- Responsible for identifying, researching, and writing front-of-book news monthly, as well as several longer, feature-length news stories throughout the year. This will involve identifying newsworthy developments in the field of chemical engineering and the chemical process industries (CPI) and suggesting editorial coverage.
- Write several department columns, including the Leadership Q&A and Profile.
- Work with other departments within AIChE on columns and special articles, such as the annual initial placement survey of graduating chemical engineers and the biennial salary survey.
- Edit and/or ghost-write Global Outlook articles as scheduled.
- Layout articles with Adobe Creative Suite software. This will include working with the art/design department to prepare appropriate graphics.
- Copyedit and proofread other editors’ articles as assigned.
- Contribute posts and comments to AIChE’s blog (ChEnected) and chemical engineering community discussion forum (AIChE Engage).
- Represent CEP both internally (to other departments) and externally (to the chemical engineering community, the CPI, and vendors of CPI equipment and services
- Other responsibilities to be assigned by manager
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism with a strong science background; Master’s degree in science journalism highly preferred.
- 2-5 years experience (including internships).
- Demonstrated reporting, writing, and editing skills.
- Excellent reading and reasoning skills.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work independently and contribute to a team.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator preferred, or experience with comparable page layout and design software.
- Respect for deadlines and attention to detail are paramount.
Competitive salary commensurate with education and experience.
Interested candidates may email their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please note the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
The American Institute of Chemical Engineers is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply for Assistant Editor, News
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly