The WorldPost seeks a senior editor to help oversee a team of editors in commissioning and editing op-eds and features on international affairs. Candidates should have at least four years editing experience, preferably of op-eds, and be well versed in international affairs. This is a full-time position, operating Monday-Friday, based in Brooklyn, with competitive salary and benefits. The WorldPost, a partnership of the Berggruen Institute and The Washington Post, is an award-winning media platform that publishes diverse voices from around the globe.
~Working closely with the EIC and Executive Editor, help lead a team of editors to do the following together:
· Create a theme-based package of 3-4 op-eds (and sometimes a feature) each week, based on news hooks and Berggruen Institute topics
· Find varying voices with expertise and experience abroad
· Commission and edit international opinion pieces from paid contributors around the world. Set deadlines
· Quickly assess ongoing stream of incoming pitches, including of reported features by freelance journalists around the world via our features editor
· Backfield -- sometimes rearranging grafs; cutting; and asking for rewrites, new lede or additions
· Write sharp heds and deks, highlighting thesis and news hook
· Work with Washington Post editors daily to get pieces published and promoted and to coordinate coverage
· Help editors turn certain op-eds and features into short videos by writing or editing scripts
~5 or more years of experience as a news or op-ed editor
~Knowledge of foreign affairs
~Strong writing and communications skills
~Experience producing videos
~Fluency in foreign languages
Please send a resume and cover letter — combined as one document if necessary.