Media Relations Manager
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the world’s largest organization of food and nutrition professionals, is seeking a self-motivated, proactive, innovative thinker to join our dynamic Strategic Communications Team as a full-time Media Relations Manager. The Media Relations Manager serves as a member of the Academy’s Strategic Communications Team and reports to the Director, Strategic Communications.
- Managing media relations activities for Academy programs and initiatives:
- Serve as primary contact for news media.
- Initiate and maintain relationships with journalists, editors, bloggers and other news media.
- Facilitate media interviews with Academy spokespeople.
- Respond to media requests quickly and accurately.
- Maintain up-to-date media contact lists.
- Write, edit and distribute communications to media including press releases, e-mails, digital content, etc.
- Develop and pitch press information and other publicity materials for National Nutrition Month/Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day, Kids Eat Right Month, Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo and other Academy events and initiatives.
- Manage press room at Academy’s annual Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo.
- Investigate and develop creative new ways of publicizing the Academy and its members and programs, particularly via social media.
- Oversee tracking and reporting of media placements and order clips as necessary.
- Develop Academy monthly media highlight reports for website.
- Maintain media vendor contact relationships and initiate new relationships.
- Overseeing the Academy’s 30 volunteer spokespeople:
- Serve as primary Academy contact for spokespeople.
- Guide spokespeople by providing them with training, information and support to most effectively represent the Academy and the nutrition and dietetics profession in the media.
- Lead annual recruitment, selection and training of spokespeople.
- Coordinate media trainings for spokespeople.
- Respond to spokesperson requests and communicate breaking news to spokespeople in a timely manner.
- Work with spokespeople to research and develop talking points for interviews.
- Annually update spokesperson handbook.
- Creating and managing special projects:
- Develop annual highlights video of media relations successes.
- Work with outside production crews to develop videos for National Nutrition Month, public service announcements and other projects.
- Work with Social Media Manager to promote Academy initiatives on all social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, etc.).
- As needed, write, edit and distribute communications to Academy members, leaders, stakeholders concerning Academy initiatives, promotional efforts on behalf of members and other member-related information.
- Assisting in Strategic Communications Team activities:
- Participate in all strategic, coordinated communications efforts of Academy teams, organizational units and members.
- Work with other teams throughout the Academy on media-related activities and outreach.
- Present media highlights at Academy meetings as needed.
- Assist in planning of annual Nutrition Trends Forum.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field
- 4+ years of related experience in a corporate, education or non-profit setting
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work well within a collaborative environment
- Outstanding organizational skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (Academy) offers a salary commensurate with experience as well as an excellent benefit package including medical and dental insurance, LTD, tuition reimbursement, and 401k match with IMMEDIATE VESTING!
The Academy promotes a friendly, professional and challenging team-based work environment. Also, the Academy’s office is conveniently located near two major Metra train stations (Union and Ogilvie); CTA lines and major bus routes are all within a few blocks.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.