Director of Marketing & Communications
- Full Time
The SWCRF is seeking a highly creative and strategic Director of Marketing & Communications to oversee the promotion of the SWCRF mission across all communications touchpoints with the goal of building awareness of the SWCRF mission to cultivate more widespread engagement and support. The Director of Marketing & Communications has a pivotal role within the SWCRF and provides guidance and support to his/her colleagues at all levels of the organization.
This innovative and resourceful professional will create and execute multifaceted communications programs to promote awareness of SWCRF funded research, its high-profile fundraising events and groundbreaking initiatives such as the SWCRF Partnership for Aging and Cancer Research. This novel collaborative grants program unites intramural and extramural scientists working in cancer and aging to collaborate on research to study the genetic, metabolic and environmental factors that promote increased incidence of cancer among people as they age.
A key initiative in the first few months of this multifaceted position is the stewardship of an upgrade of the SWCRF website to showcase our mission and grow our digital imprint with state-of-the-art technology and compelling content.
Reporting to the SWCRF Executive Director and the CEO, the Director of Marketing & Communications will support development initiatives and collaborate with a wide range of strategic partners, including the SWCRF Board of Directors, our marketing committee, vendors and event committees, to grow the impact of the SWCRF in its mission to eradicate cancer.
- Prepare monthly messaging calendar and daily posts for SWCRF’s accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Analyze and report social media metrics.
- Prepare pre-event and post-event page updates
- Create website content using content management system (CMS).
- Create content sharing campaigns (e.g., e-blasts, email chains, social media posts) to disseminate content
- Monitor and analyze website traffic using Google Analytics and manage Google Ad Words Express grant.
- Interface with IT professionals to address website-related updates and/or issues.
Public Relations Outreach
- Write press releases
- Oversee media outreach activities of SWCRF’s PR agency
- Document results and circulate updates to staff and stakeholders
- Transform press results into reports to use as tools to promote future SWCRF partnerships
- Serve as an intermediary with the media
- Source vendors and obtain competitive quotes for proposed projects
- Manage vendors and monitor project budgets.
- Circulate marketing reports via email to the SWCRF Board, Chairman’s Council and various SWCRF event committees
- Attend and contribute to Board meetings
- Write and design collateral for fundraising proposals
- Oversee production and distribution of the Annual Report and the SWCRF newsletter Monitor and report on SWCRF grantees’ progress
- Write cover letters for key stakeholder communications (annual report, gala journal, year-end appeal).
- Interface with SWCRF cause marketing partners
Marketing Committee Management
- Coordinate and lead meetings of the Foundation’s brain trust to develop new ways to promote the SWCRF brand and enhance fundraising.
Annual Scientific Review & Symposium
- Support the production and execution of the annual SWCRF scientific review in collaboration with SWCRF scientific officers, staffers and other stakeholders.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A passion for mission-based nonprofit work. Experience in research, healthcare and/or biomedical research is a plus.
- 5-10 years of work experience in positions directly related to the responsibilities of the position
- Experience with digital communications, social media, website content /CMS, copywriting, Constant Contact or similar e-blast software.
- Ability to retrieve information from Raisers Edge database.
- In-depth understanding of branding, public relations and integrated marketing.
- Knowledge of Google Ad Words
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building skills, with experience working across levels, organizations, and sectors
- Excellent strategic thinking and project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to communicate to diverse audiences in different voices
- Upbeat demeanor with a team player mentality
- Excellent relationship skills, including empathy, discretion, diplomacy and patience.
- Bachelor’s degree required