PBS Education provides PreK-12 educators with access to free digital content and professional development opportunities designed to improve teacher effectiveness and student achievement. We value teachers, and we believe that with a better understanding of the dynamics of the educator community we can super-serve teachers by creating innovative content, products and opportunities that impact how teachers teach and students learn.
The Editorial Director creates new content, acquires existing content, and establishes and manages the editorial vision, strategy, and framework for our educational digital product, PBS LearningMedia. The Editorial Director works collaboratively across PBS and its member stations to ensure that digital content supports the evolving needs of 21st-century classrooms. The incumbent serves as a leader of digital content contributors (stations, producers, and partner organizations) and manages content development initiatives.
Essential duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with the Senior Director, Digital Product Strategy & Content and other key stakeholders to design and manage implementation activities relating to the Editorial and Curricular vision and strategy for educational digital products.
- Manage staff in the performance of Editorial Development and Editorial Services functions; ensure that projects are completed accurately and in accordance with budgetary, quality, and schedule requirements; and work with team members to identify obstacles to success and design appropriate solutions.
- Lead collaborative efforts regarding the creation and revision of PBS digital programming content for Pre-K to 12th grade classrooms; this includes serving as PBS’ lead relationship manager for internal and external content contributors, ensuring that Editorial Guidelines and content expectations are properly communicated and enforced.
- Work with the PBS Education Marketing/Outreach and PBS Product teams to ensure consistency in tone and voice across outreach channels, including PBSLM homepage
- Work with PBS Education team members to help create annual Content Strategy Plan for all educational product lines that fall under the Education department’s purview.
- Partner with the PBS KIDS Matrix Team and the General Audience Programming Team to design and implement initiatives that maximize the reach of PBS media properties in the Pre-K to 12 classrooms; participate in assessing the strengths and areas of opportunities for initiatives; and collaborate with the Teams to adjust existing initiatives as required.
- Manage Curriculum Hierarchies, alignments, and customization for PBS LearningMedia, ensuring accuracy and user-friendly experience.
- Collaborate with stations and producers on content development, contribution, and integration into educational products, including recommendations for adapting assets for classroom use.
- Identify new content partners, and work with Legal and Business Affairs teams to negotiate and secure content agreements.
- Represent PBS and/or LearningMedia department through system-wide and industry conference participation, presentations, etc.
- Maintain knowledge of current PreK-12 education curriculum standards and digital content trends and opportunities for innovation; share developments as appropriate with relevant parties.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements for success:
- 7 years’ of progressively responsible experience developing content in a media / publishing setting and/or working in PreK-12 education. Experience producing online and/or digital web content preferred. Experience working in or with public broadcasting desired.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, English, Journalism or related field; Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Strong understanding of the PreK-12 education market
- In-depth knowledge of current curriculum standards for PreK-12 education
- Strong understanding of best practices for the use of digital and media resources in the classroom
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment with both internal staff and external partners and/or organizations
- Proven leadership skills
- Strong writing and editing skills and background
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
- Resourceful, self-directed, and skillful team player
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability and flexibility to complete multiple tasks with overlapping deadlines
- Ability to display tactfulness and diplomacy when responding to questions and concerns
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 15% of the time
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities