- Full Time
BNY Mellon Markets seeks an experienced financial writer and communications professional to join our expanding media and marketing team.
In this challenging dual role, you will be at the heart of one of the most dynamic capital markets businesses on Wall Street. BNY Mellon Markets is redefining what a custodian can be for its clients, utilizing cutting edge technology and deploying new talent to introduce an unprecedented degree of sophistication and efficiency in the traditionally staid world of custody banking.
The position will primarily require you to draft original content and edit written material generated by our industry experts across all five Markets businesses: Fixed Income & Equities; Foreign Exchange; Securities Finance, Collateral Management and Liquidity Services.
In addition to writing content such as research papers, bylined articles and awards submissions, you’ll also be called upon to draft speeches for senior executives and write brochures and marketing literature that clearly and simply explain our products and services.
The position demands a versatile writer, capable of deftly switching from one style to another and crafting engaging content for a variety of audiences. Just as importantly, you will be able to think imaginatively and originally about how you present your copy in a visually arresting manner that seizes the reader’s attention.
The successful candidate must possess a strong creative streak. You should be just as comfortable writing a thought leadership pieces several thousand words in length as you are drafting a brief internal communication. You also will not be intimidated by the challenge of taking dense technical material and simplifying it for a general readership.
The second part of this role involves media relations, facilitating interviews between journalists and our market experts, generating coverage in the press for corporate announcements and product launches and raising the profile of BNY Mellon Markets and our executive leadership in both print and broadcast media.
This opportunity requires a proactive and agile personality that is not afraid to take the initiative. You’ll be expected to work autonomously in seeing your assignments through to completion, but you’ll also be part of a small, fun, tightly-knit team that works closely together.
The position is ideal for someone looking to make their mark within an energetic and growing business. For the right candidate, this role is an opportunity to take your career in an exciting new direction.
- A proven track record in financial services writing and/or communications – supported by clips - with at least three years’ experience
- A strong understanding of how capital markets operate is essential. Knowledge of equities, credit and FX markets is strongly preferred, while familiarity with OTC derivatives, securities financing and repo markets is a major plus
- A masterful command of English
- Adaptability and versatility to write in a number of different styles for a variety of audiences
- An ability to think imaginatively to present information in an engaging fashion
- Genuine curiosity about how financial markets operate
- Strong desire to produce the very best work of which you’re capable
- Someone who enjoys research, interviewing subject matter experts and learning new things
- Ability to rapidly pivot from one project to the next
- Excellent writing skills and a good eye for spotting grammatical and spelling errors
- Ability to work well under pressure and hit deadlines
- Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally
- Extensive contacts among financial print and broadcast media preferred, though not essential