Digital Managing Editor
Digital Managing Editor
The National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) is seeking a Digital Managing Editor to be responsible for driving the organization’s digital operations.
The Digital Managing Editor will be an experienced leader and problem-solver who can successfully grow an influential and leading manufacturing organization’s digital program to new heights. This position requires a strategic, visionary leader who can effectively manage a team of strategists and content experts.
The successful candidate will set and execute digital strategy for the NAM and its sub-brands, with the goal of growing our channels, audiences and engagement. The Digital Managing Editor will set and drive a digital editorial process that results in compelling content; leverage data, analytical tools and other key performance indicators; represent the digital program to all levels of internal stakeholders; and coordinate across multiple internal disciplines, including the Marketing, Membership and Sponsorship teams, to strategically leverage and monetize our platforms. This position reports to the vice president of communications.
Join the NAM and Make an Impact in the Following Ways:
- Drive all strategy for the organization’s digital platforms, brands and sub-brands.
- Lead a first-class team of strategists and content experts to set and execute digital strategy for the NAM.
- Set long-term audience development efforts that meet company-wide audience engagement and database growth metrics.
- Identify most important and effective data metrics; help organization understand what data and metrics matter and how to best use.
- Collaborate with all NAM divisions to address digital needs and reach organizational goals while representing the audience’s content needs and ensuring the delivery of the information they find valuable.
- Execute rollout of the NAM’s flagship digital property NAM.org, as well as the launch of The Manufacturing Institute’s digital property.
- Own digital content calendar and production meetings, bringing a newsroom-style focus on emerging trends, formats and distribution techniques.
- Spearhead editorial workflow development for digital content, ensuring the NAM’s ability to engage in news events in real time and providing context to coverage over the long run.
- Collaborate with the senior director of strategic communications and media team to supplement the NAM’s war room and rapid response operations.
- Follow emerging trends and advise on and adopt content types, content formats, story angles, new products, analytics tools and new channels that will keep the NAM’s content efforts on the cutting edge of communication.
- Form internal partnerships with the teams managing the NAM’s existing distribution channels, leveraging email, events and other avenues to reach and grow the audience.
- Oversee creation of a dashboard of analytics and insights reports on editorial content and audience growth to the organization.
- Lead the organization in future decision-making about its content operations, including, but not limited to, investments in technology and strategic monetization of the NAM’s audience.
- Manage and develop a stellar team of digital content experts and audience growth professionals.
- Navigate a large organization to successfully and quickly solve problems and propose new approaches to challenges.
- Develop and enforce editorial guidelines for content meant for a web audience.
- Instill a culture of continuous improvement, valuing both learning and quality.
The above list of responsibilities is representative of the position and is not intended to limit or preclude other responsibilities and tasks that may be associated with or added to the position.
- Strong leader who can clearly define, deliver, measure and continuously improve the effectiveness of the NAM’s digital communications strategy across all online platforms
- Passionate self-starter who approaches work with a proactive, campaign-style mindset
- Track record of working with internal partners from different departments to serve business objectives and provide consultative services
- Proven working experience in journalism/digital media, preferably covering policy, politics or business beats
- Demonstrated success in driving audience growth (in particular website traffic and database growth)
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team of content editors/producers to success
- A proven track record of thriving in a changing work environment and adapting to new challenges/opportunities
- Understanding of modern business issues impacting manufacturing and a working knowledge of the industry and its vocabulary and vernacular
- Excellent internal and external communication skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 10 years of work experience required
- B.S./B.F.A. degree in communications, multimedia design and development or a related field preferred
- 5–7 years managing web content and production
- Advanced experience with content management systems (current platform: Ektron) and proficient knowledge of HTML5 and CSS3
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite 5.5/6
- Demonstrable cross-platform digital and technical knowledge, especially social media and mobile publishing best practices
- Must have experience working within content management systems
- Must be flexible to learning and working within new software/platforms and encourage team members to be as well
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) is the largest manufacturing association in the United States and one of the nation’s most influential advocates for manufacturing. By joining the NAM, you become part of a spirited and dynamic team that is driven to succeed. We recognize and reward our staff with competitive pay and annual performance based bonus programs. We offer an outstanding benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, life, short-term and long-term disability, flexible spending accounts, SmarTrip, and a 401(k) Salary Deferral plan with employer match and contributions, vacation and sick leave, complimentary on-site gym access and healthy snacks in the break room. Become part of a fast paced team passionate about keeping the United States the world leader in manufacturing.
People. Passion. Progress.
Join the NAM team. Learn more at www.nam.org/careers