Independent Institute produces and publishes 6-8 award-winning academic books per year, as well as a quarterly journal, policy reports, etc. We are currently seeking a Publications Director to work in our Oakland headquarters to lead and supervise our publishing activities, working with research staff to produce research and policy-related books, reports, and monographs; overseeing the design, budgeting, and production of monographs or journals; and designing and executing a marketing plan to improve dissemination and increase sales of the organization's research publications.
The Publications Director provides design and production oversight of Independent’s print and digital creative assets, and oversees the detailed aspects of producing publications, periodicals and marketing collateral at Independent. This includes maintaining contacts with authors, other departments within the organization, and outside vendors. The Director employs best-in-class practices and is committed to excellence, teamwork and continuous improvement in meeting and fulfilling all required tasks.
The Publications Director fully participates in the development and implementation of Independent’s Strategic Plan and the concurrent development of the Publications Operating Plan with related budgets and schedules. The Director works closely with other departments to make certain that the print and digital materials of Independent properly reflect Independent’s branding, mission and values and its commitment to excellence, making certain that the requirements of specific assignments are fully satisfied in a brand consistent, cost-effective, and timely manner. Key responsibilities include:
- Branding. Work with the executive team and other departments to explore and define design solutions to support the brand. Build out the brand guidelines as needed.
- Design. Provide design support, maintain quality control, and manage the detailed aspects of print and digital production, including contacting vendors and other Independent departments. Remain organized and detail-oriented. Maintain appropriate file-handling protocol. Prepare and submit files to printers and vendors in good order.
- Publications. Manage the design and production of books, publication covers, The Independent newsletter, Independent Thought, briefings, reports, booklets, and policy reports.
- Marketing, development and event collateral. Develop and oversee the production of materials as needed, including the design, layout, and production of the Annual Report, invitations, ads, marketing materials, and other promotional collateral. Contribute design expertise as appropriate.
- Digital. Provide digital assets and solutions for web, email and social media use and distribution.
In fulfilling production responsibilities for materials, the Director primarily uses common page-layout, digital illustration, and image editing programs, as well as common internet tools for web publishing, such as InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 5 or more years of print and digital production and marketing with management experience preferably in the book publishing industry
- History of successful project management, creating and following multiple schedules and timelines with competing deadlines
- Proficiency with standard word processing programs
- Familiarity with web and digital production processes and knowledge of prepress production
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat)
- Excellent written, verbal, and computer skills with keen attention to details
The Graphics Designer, Publications Production Manager and Marketing Manager report to the Director who establishes Performance Objectives and evaluates their performance. The Publications Director reports to the Chief Executive Officer who establishes Performance Objectives and evaluates performance.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
- Two samples of your work