Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Job title: VP Commercial
Location: London or New York
Reporting to: Managing Director, Nature Research Group
Nature Research is a world leader in publishing high-quality research from across the natural sciences. Its journals include Nature, the Nature Research journals, the Nature Reviews journals and Nature Communications.
We are now looking for a VP Commercial to join the Nature Research Group senior leadership team and take responsibility for all global Client Marketing Services revenues – Careers Services, Display Advertising, Sponsorship, Custom Publishing and Conferences – generated for the Research Division of Springer Nature, as well as all Paid Researcher Services institutional revenues generated by NRG staff.
As VP Commercial you will directly manage and motivate a large and geographically diverse team of sales, marketing and sales support professionals; represent the company in meetings with external clients and at industry events; and work with a broad range of internal stakeholders to maximize short-term revenues and lay the foundation for sustained future growth.
This is an exciting position that will see you play a central role in developing and executing strategies to strengthen Springer Nature’s position as the leading global provider of careers services for scientists and of strategic marketing communications services to research-led institutions and companies, as well as to make Springer Nature the leading provider of training and editing services for scientists worldwide.
Key responsibilities include:
Develop and implement long-term revenue growth strategies across NRG Client Marketing Services and Paid Researcher Services
- Lead the development, execution and delivery of commercial strategies for all NRG Client Marketing Services businesses.
- Work closely with NRG stakeholders to develop and implement plans for rapidly building Paid Researcher Services revenues, focusing in particular on making Springer Nature the leading global provider of training services for scientists.
- Drive continued global growth across all Institutional Partnerships revenue lines, including custom publishing, training services, Nature Index and Nature Conferences.
- Expand Nature Careers’s position as the leading global provider of career services for scientists; drive development of new regional and discipline-based career services.
- Develop strategies for rapidly expanding digital advertising and sponsorship revenues across SN websites, for example via native advertising and advertising targeting technologies.
- Partner with the Product, Technology and Operations teams to build and deliver relevant product offerings that meet customer needs while upholding NRG’s high standards of quality and integrity.
Recruit, develop and lead high performing sales, marketing and sales support teams
- Provide impactful leadership and coaching that steers and motivates the entire commercial organization to provide consistently good service to customers and consistently strong results for the company
- Ensure all teams are structured, trained and incentivized to maximize revenue growth and deliver against longer-term goals. Instill data-driven mindset for all teams; establish clear KPIs and regular reporting for all important functions and objectives.
- Instil consultative selling ethos across sales teams that focuses on building strong, long-term relationships with customers. Ensure sales support teams are optimally structured and equipped to provide effective support for revenue generation and administration
Drive marketing excellence at NRG and support stronger marketing across SN
- Manage strong marketing teams so that they play a central role in the development of effective go-to-market strategies, embrace best digital marketing practices, and work effectively with SN Research Marketing and Central Marketing.
- Ensure optimal coordination between sales and marketing teams.
- Continue building a data-driven approach that uses metrics to monitor performance of the marketing teams against budgets and initiate, when necessary, action to secure "back on track" performance.
Build and leverage relationships with key internal stakeholders
- Establish and maintain close alliances with stakeholders across SN who will play a central role in the success of NRG commercial revenue lines, i.e.: NRG Commercial Editorial management; NRG Editorial and Publishing management; SN Research Marketing and Central Marketing; SN Market Intelligence; key stakeholders within SRG, ORG and DRG; PPG; Institutional Sales management; Finance; and others.
- Support management of NRG’s overall business as an active and engaged member of the NRG Management Board.
Establish strong relationships with key customers
- Cultivate relationships with key institutional and corporate customers in order to support sales teams and maintain a clear understanding of customer needs. Lead the development of relationships with business-critical customers and suppliers to ensure the foundations of the business are secure and long term partnerships are protected and expanded. When appropriate, represent NRG/SN at industry events.
Set budgets, monitor performance and communicate trends transparently to senior management
Work closely with HR and MRPA to create effective incentive plans. Maintain close watch over performance; initiate corrective action quickly and ensure that NRG and SN management is informed about substantial deviations from plan.
- Strategic thinker able to clearly envision opportunities and devise pragmatic, effective plans to realize them
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in a complex organizational environment with diverse stakeholders
- Detailed understanding of STM industry
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to inspire teams and create positive, constructive working environment
- Customer-focused, with excellent written and verbal communication, networking and negotiation skills
- Ability to spot trends and opportunities and turn them into successful outcomes
- Proven track record of leading and motivating teams
- Strong problem-solving abilities
- Highly commercial, strong understanding of corporate finance and measures of performance
- Proven track record of effective strategic sales and marketing management; with significant experience in senior-level management roles
- Extensive experience dealing with both corporate and institutional customers in the STM industry
- Previous experience in developing multi-faceted, data-driven marketing and digital advertising solutions
- Experience in change management involving global commercial teams
To submit an application please include a cover letter and CV
Deadline for receipt of applications Thursday 10th May 2018
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.