About Cricket Media®:
Cricket Media® is a mission-based global education company creating high-quality print and multi-media products for children, families, and teachers. Led by our 10 award-winning children’s magazines and our research-tested collaborative learning and eMentoring platforms, we are committed to creating and supporting innovative learning experiences that help children safely explore and engage with their expanding world.
About the Position:
We are seeking an ambitious, analytical, wicked smart, and creative Editor-in-Chief, with deep experience in children’s publications. With 10 publications (all recipients of 2018 Parents’ Choice Gold Awards), more than 250,000 existing articles and stories, and new content being generated daily, Cricket Media has the largest replenishing collection of short-form quality content for ages 0–14+ in the country. The Editor-in-Chief will be responsible for the overarching content development and execution plan for Cricket Media (after leading the collaborating on the plan’s creation with the senior management team) and for ensuring the continuing quality of Cricket Media content. The Editor-in-Chief will be an important member of the senior management team, reporting directly to the CEO.
Planning and Executing Upon Overarching Content Strategy working with the Cricket Media team, addressing short-term and long-term goals; creating an overall approach to a Cricket Media vision; and stewarding high-quality content production as well as supporting the individual products, magazines, websites, and divisions, including coverage, target audience, and tone for each.
Ensuring Cohesiveness & Upholding Quality by making sure the Cricket Media publications, websites, and products reflect a common mission and meet quality standards; by overseeing the hiring of writers, illustrators, and photographers; and by, setting policies related to submission guidelines and editorial style across publications, websites, and products.
Overseeing Content Selection and Production alongside senior management as well as the editorial team, through the development of an ongoing data-driven process to ensure that content tagged for production is not only developmentally and pedagogically appropriate for the age group for which they’re intended, but reflects overarching company strategy, customer demand, and market opportunity.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- BA/BS, or equivalent degree in English, Journalism, or a related field, advanced degree preferred
- 10-15 years of experience as editorial director for quality children’s publications, products, etc.
- Knowledge of educational standards and a deep understanding of the consumer and institutional markets, as well as experience executing classroom practices and supporting the diverse needs of schools and educators.
- Ability to lead by example – be a manager and leading contributor, able to define, produce and execute upon projects in an independent manner and delegate efficiently and effectively
- Deadline- and detail-oriented with ability to multi-task with and work in a high-energy, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Demonstrated skills in organizing and interpreting data, maintaining schedules, and real-time problem solving — ability to rapidly resolve issues and recognize when escalation is necessary
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills — seeking a versatile, thoughtful, organized, efficient individual who feels comfortable and confident both writing and speaking to a variety of audiences for a variety of purposes.
- Tech Savvy — proficient in social media, communication tools, DAM, Office 365, Adobe Creative Suite, Smartsheet, etc. and is quick to pick up new applications,
Working at Cricket Media:
Cricket Media has a diverse workforce comprised of leaders and innovators in their fields, dedicated to making a difference at the intersection of content, technology, and education. Our staff is universally driven by the desire to “do well and do good.” Proactive individuals who take to this desire/idea and understand how to make it real at scale in a fast-paced environment (bonus points for maintaining a sense of humor while doing so…), will “do well” “do[ing] good” at Cricket Media.
Cricket Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We’re an interdisciplinary bunch who are committed to building a team with a wide array of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We know that few life paths are straight lines, and are appreciative of the skills we’ve each gleaned from the most unlikely of experiences. We value creativity, transparency, accountability, and integrity. We offer a full-range of employee benefits for our regular full-time employees.
To apply: e-mail PDFs of your cover letter and resume, with subject line: “Editor-in-Chief.” No phone calls, please.