Segment Producer, MSNBC The Last Word
Location: New York, New York
Specialty: Television & Film, Video
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Work closely with Lawrence O’Donnell and senior staff on political/editorial content of nightly showProduce compelling segments with urgent writing, eye-catching visuals and headline grabbing bannersParticipate and pitch new segments in daily staff editorial and production meetingsWork with guests to help pinpoint the best ways in which they can enhance a segmentBe in the control room during live show and assure smooth on-air production of your segmentParticipate in the digital life of your segment by writing metadata descriptions and ability to highlight headline-making snippets of segments that could play well on social mediaThrive in a team environment in which everyone strives to give co-workers a hand whenever needed and stay calm in pressure situationsWhen needed, field produce segments
Weeknights on MSNBC, Lawrence O’Donnell brings a unique mix of knowledge about politics and the entertainment industry to “The Last Word.” The hour-long program, produced out of 30 Rock in New York City, provides analysis of the top political developments in the news and the most talked about stories of the day.
Join The Last Word team as a segment producer and contribute to the show’s daily production by writing and researching compelling segments about the day’s biggest stories.
Basic Qualification/ Eligibility Requirements:
• Must have at least 5 years of experience in live television (i.e. morning shows, cable shows, broadcast TV, etc.)
• Must have a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Political Science, History or related field
• Must be willing and able to work flexible hours, under tight deadline pressure, including breaking news
• Must be willing to work in New York City
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through nbcunicareers.com to be considered
• Thorough knowledge of American politics
• Exceptional editorial skills: Ability to recognize stories with high potential for provocative, compelling television
• Possess ability to develop story ideas and angles, research, and plan segments
• Write and produce segments with speed and error free in newsroom environment
• Ability to "book" guests, and work with graphics and video elements
• Knowledge of current events, politics and pop culture. Up to date on periodicals, including Op-Eds
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.