- Full Time
Metro Media—home to the world’s largest news network—is seeking a skilled editor to lead the Features Department in creating addictive stories that will boost readership and traffic.
It’s your department to run.
Candidates should know how to spot viral stories in a variety of topics—film, television, celebrity, health, local events, real estate, careers and education, travel, etc.—and be prepared to assign, edit, even roll up your sleeves once in a while and post or paginate.
We are looking for someone with excellent trending news judgement to expertly manage the team’s content online — while ensuring production is running smoothly for the print product.
Our Features Editor will have to be fast on his/her feet with the ability to pivot between print and digital and configure a creative workflow to best utilize online content without sacrificing the integrity of the print product.
● Lead a small team of writers including members in satellite offices in Philadelphia and Boston to produce clicky and dynamic local and national stories
● Manage team's daily digital and print duties; maintain print production schedule
● Edit team’s content, optimizing for SEO when necessary and providing feedback to hone team’s on page SEO skills
● Maintain monthly editorial calendar and sales-related special requests
● Work closely with EIC to set the team’s web goals and track success
● Use tools such as Parse.ly and Google Analytics to analyze weekly and monthly metric and make strategic content decisions
● Top edit minimum of 10 stories daily
● Recruit a stable of creative and dependable freelance writers
● A minimum of five years’ experience working in newspapers and websites in an entertainment/lifestyle/news capacity
● Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage many projects and deadlines simultaneously
● Exceptional writing and editing skills
● Knowledgeable in SEO best practices
● Proficient in InDesign and Drupal
● Must be a strong, cool-headed and decisive manager with proven experience leading editorial staff