The Vice President of Solution Development leads a high performing, dynamic, leading-edge data science and product development team. Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Decision Sciences EBI, the VP will oversee a team that is responsible for supporting the broader NBCU EBI team with advanced data engineering and visualization development. The Solutions Development team is unique with its’ diverse and complex functions architects, visualization experts, project managers, and data engineers. This cross-functional team will be responsible for translating complex data and advanced statistical methodologies into simple to understand, actionable solutions that enable company decisions. These solutions will provide insight into NBCU’s customers, business operations, and products based upon the collection, analysis, and modeling of company data combined with third-party data. It is imperative that the VP provide best-in-class decision support capabilities so that this information is seen as a strategic asset, trustworthy, and readily available.
The VP will apply their passion for data driven solutions to fundamentally change how NBCU operates to build sustainable competitive advantages. Above all else, s/he will help discover profitable business opportunities and then drive change transformation and operational execution to achieve specific business results. S/he will utilize their broad business and technical knowledge along with software development experience to address complex, unusual and critical issues across Entertainment products, Universal Parks, Universal Production and Movie Studios, as well as diverse business functions such as sales and marketing, finance, and human resources.
As part of the NBCU EBI senior leadership team, the VP will contribute to the development of the organization’s business strategy and organizational objectives for alignment. S/he will provide both strategic and tactical leadership and direction for the existing NBCU EBI team of internal resources, as well as assess the organization’s ongoing talent acquisition and development strategy.
The successful executive will have strong technical, product development, data engineering, and product management expertise along with strategic, business and people management experience. S/he will be able to leverage their prior success operating the development of products/solutions within a complex business with enormous amounts of transactional, repeatable data.
Culturally, they must be a fit for an organization with a diverse group of high-performing PhD, data engineers, and business strategists. From a leadership perspective, the successful candidate will have the executive presence and communication skills to effectively articulate his/her position to influence business leaders across the company. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and promote cutting edge Decision Science delivery solutions. Evaluate, compare, and apply innovative approaches to deliver unique and powerful data sets, visualizations, models, and prescriptive guidance tools and platforms designed to answer difficult but critical business questions/decisions with large impact to profitability. Enthusiastically ready to present, defend, discuss and debate the team’s work, as well as implications and recommendations.
- Manage cross-disciplinary team. Oversee program teams that develop and provide Decision Science solutions to improve and enhance companywide decision making. Ensure the department implements and utilizes the industry best practices, processes, operating model, and technology for product/solution development.
- Collaborate as part of the senior leadership team within NBCU EBI. Promote transparent communication among management team. Oversee budget to ensure required resources are available, while coordinating with the finance department to secure additional budget for capital and operational expenditures as additional business needs are presented (software resources, etc.).
- Collaborate with the Technology organization and, where necessary, utilize this organization as a resource to harden, strengthen and potentially support operational activities and use cases. Use the partnership with them to garner ideas and advice on enterprise standards, operations and procedures.
- Minimum 10 years of experience within a data science, data engineering, business intelligence and/or applied analytics function within financial services, telecommunications, media, digital, healthcare, management consulting, hospitality, boutique analytics firm or related field
- Minimum 5 years of experience leading, managing, and developing a highly intellectual and technical team
- Experience in a complex organization with access to enormous amounts of transactional and operational data
- Bachelor’s and Advanced Degree in Computer Science, Information Management, Engineering, Statistics, or other technical or quantitative discipline
- Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Must be willing to work in New York, NY
- Experience leading and operating a software/solution/product development process in an industry that manages multiple, continuous interactions with their customers is highly preferred
- Hands-on manager with the experience necessary to create an environment of intellectual challenge and “raises the bar” in terms of quality of work
- Proven ability to lead, persuade, and influence leaders and peers across a high matrix organization
- Experience managing and prioritizing multiple projects and deliverables in an effective manner
- Superior technical acumen combined with strong business discipline
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects while meeting all deadlines, as well as the ability to manage people and process to achieve optimal results
- Ability to excel in a culture of collaboration, excellence, innovation, and teamwork
- Strong interpersonal skills with an outstanding ability to build relationships, influence and navigate within a complex organization
- Presence and self-confidence to interface and engage with the key constituents internally and externally
- “Crisp” communication skills
- Self-awareness, maturity, irreproachable integrity
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
The Decision Sciences team within Enterprise Business Intelligence helps drive "the art of the possible," specializing in the application of advanced Machine Learning and AI at NBCUniversal. The Decision Sciences team focuses primarily on building and integrating tools and platforms to support on-going analyses that inform key strategy and business decisions across the NBCU Enterprise. Over the last five years, NBCU EBI has evolved into a team of nearly 50 people with a robust infrastructure and a proven track record of significant impact to the company.