Night News Editor
NIGHT NEWS EDITOR WANTED
Metro US newspaper is seeking a skilled Night Editor to oversee the evening editorial operation of the newspaper covers and news sections of our three daily editions.
The ideal candidate will be a calm, cool-headed editorial professional with a proven ability to copy-edit, write stories and use a variety of content management systems. This person will be a troubleshooter, not just a trouble spotter, who will take initiative and be receptive to constructive criticism and feedback. This is not a managerial position, but the Night Editor should have a positive, team attitude and be able to work well with reporters as well as managers in a small-staffed newsroom.
We need someone with excellent written and oral communication skills who has the flexibility to adapt to changes in workflow due to the evolution of our editorial operation. He or she must be comfortable picking up duties when necessary, including copy-editing, writing, sharing content on social media, responding to sources and colleagues via email and assisting the Managing Editor in various editorial projects. The Night Editor will also have a keen sense of local and national news judgement with a finger on the pulse of the daily news cycle. The candidate must be comfortable with night hours: the shift is from 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday in our Lower Manhattan office.
Metro US is not an old-fashioned “paper of record.” This candidate should be passionate about putting together a modern urban newspaper, and doing so in a forward-thinking company culture with nontraditional newsroom practices.
- Work closely with Managing Editor, operating as her go-to #2
- Edit news stories filed in website CMS
- Provide input on which news stories should used in next-day print edition
- Input all news story copy (headlines, subheads, story body) into print CMS
- Improve reporter headlines, subheads, and photo captions to help “sell” the story
- Proofread news pages in InDesign
- Help find images when necessary
- Be a final set of “editorial eyes” for the covers
- Oversee copy editors at night, assist them with coordinating shift coverage
- Write breaking news for website and print after writing staff leaves
- Assist Managing Editor in uploading columnist/freelancer stories into CMS and sharing the links on social media
Why work at Metro?
Competitive salary and benefits
Laid back atmosphere with healthy work-life balance
Ability to take on creative projects in a collaborative, supportive environment
Please include resume and news clips