- Full Time
Salon Media Group (publisher of Salon.com) is seeking a full-time daily news writer in our San Francisco office. Salon Media Group is a fast-growing company with an entrepreneurial culture.
We are a fast-paced, high-volume editorial environment and we want a talented journalist who can match our pace.
We are seeking a highly-organized, deadline- and detail-oriented professional with a talent for writing and an eye for news who is pro-active, efficient and proficient.
In this role, you will report to the editor-in-chief and work closely with our San Francisco-based cover editor and New York-based managing editor, as well as the rest of the editorial team. The news writer will write breaking news stories and display copy across all Salon verticals and assist the San Francisco cover editor with editorial tasks while being faithful to Salon’s voice and brand.
- Writing multiple stories on the breaking news of the day for news & politics, culture, innovation & the economy, and science & health verticals, plus other stories as assigned (80%)
- Assist the cover editor in managing partner content, writing the daily newsletter, and managing the homepage (20%)
have experience writing in a digital news environment, with preference given to candidates with daily news writing experience. Ideal candidates will have some experience in multimedia journalism and an interest in video editing and production.
In addition to being well versed on Salon's verticals, the ideal candidate will have experience in the digital publishing space, working in a CMS (familiarity with WordPress is preferred) and some experience with social media (Facebook, Twitter, Hootsuite).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent communication, diplomacy, and decision-making skills with the ability to think creatively.
- Strong entrepreneurial, organizational and time management skills.
- Most PC based applications (Microsoft Office Suite)
- Adobe Creative Suite (Premiere Pro)
What we offer
- Entrepreneurial culture
- Fast-paced environment where serious efforts are noticed and are rewarded
- Casual work atmosphere
- Growing company with lots of growth potential
- Outstanding benefits.
Salon Media Group (Ticker Symbol: SLNM.PK) operates the pioneering, award-winning news site Salon.com. With an audience of 15 million monthly unique visitors, Salon.com covers breaking news, politics, culture, technology and entertainment through investigative reporting, fearless commentary and criticism, and provocative personal essays. Salon.com has been a leader in online media since the dawn of the digital age and has bureaus in San Francisco and New York City.