Newsday Media Group (NMG) is one of the nation’s most dynamic media organizations, serving Long Island and New York City through its portfolio of mobile and digital products, print publications and live events. With 19 Pulitzer Prizes and other esteemed awards for outstanding journalism, our mission and vision is to engage consumers and businesses by connecting them to the communities in which they live, work and play.
We are building a digital platform that will be the center of Long Island’s civic life. Our hope is to create a space that will bring Long Islanders together to discuss our region’s future and to present an action plan for local leaders. To execute that vision, we are hiring a community manager to engage all Long Islanders in constructive and substantive conversation. The community manager will be responsible for outreach to ensure that the debate includes civic leaders, engaged citizens and curious thinkers from all of Long Island’s micro-communities.
Why you want this job: You believe that informed debate can improve the world. You want to join a project managed by Newsday’s Opinion section to map out a better future for Long Island. You believe that journalists are smarter — and news organizations more sustainable — when they listen to and engage with their audience. You believe that digital tools can bring communities together when used correctly.
On a typical day, you might:
- Engage with readers in person, on the phone or online.
- Introduce topics for discussion on and moderate comments in our digital community to ensure that honest and intelligent conversation takes place.
- Conceive and produce reader-driven projects around a variety of topics, working collaboratively with designers, developers and other members of the Opinion team.
- Use data about audience trends to set priorities for our research.
- Represent our project at community and civic organization meetings.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a bachelor's degree and would have experience encouraging user engagement online and be familiar with Long Island’s political structures, diverse communities and its myriad challenges. This position demands a creative thinker who can leave their mark on a new project.
Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.