Senior Editor / News Director
- Full Time
Common Dreams—an independent and progressive U.S.-based news, opinion, and analysis publication with a global online audience—is seeking a full-time senior editor / news director to join, and help lead, our small but energetic and highly-productive newsroom.
Position includes helping to drive all aspects of daily news operation, including: news selection; pitching and assigning stories; cultivating contacts and sources; editing staff pieces and outside contributors; and working closely with small editorial team.
Ideal candidate is not only a voracious and sharp-minded news junkie who understands the world is on fire and that a class war exists (and the richest are winning), but also an experienced and highly skilled news writer, editor and reporter. Quality applicant also comes with excellent leadership skills, impeccable news judgement, a passion for serving the common good, and a sophisticated understanding of progressive perspectives across a wide spectrum of issues, subject areas, and geographies. We’re generalists—smart, passionate, and eager to cover the crucial issues that matter from a hard-hitting and progressive perspective.
This is a full-time position in our offices located in Portland, Maine. We need you here, mixing it up with us face-to-face and on a daily basis, so telecommuting is not possible (unless there’s a massive snow storm or you’re waiting for the cable person to show up). Position open until filled.
- Meticulously follow breaking news and developing stories in U.S. and globally
- Scan domestic and international sources for trends, developing stories, and sharp takes on current events
- Generate, pitch, and assign compelling story ideas for daily editorial meetings
- Research, report, write and produce news articles, summaries, and related content
- Make independent editorial decisions about article selection, framing, and positioning
- Play prominent role in overall site management, with focus on newsroom leadership and production
- Write and edit engaging, crisp, and provocative copy for educated and demanding readership
- Provide consistent and positive leadership for and assistance to newsroom staff
- Edit, advise on headlines and framing while managing deadlines and workflow
- Foster professional, respectful, and engaged newsroom culture that allows for individual growth and collective success
- Learn and maintain standards for all sections and aspects of the site
- Save the world
Ideal candidate will possess:
- Passion for progressive politics and independent journalism
- At least 4-7 years of newsroom and reporting experience
- Strong leadership skills with a proven record of collaboration and management
- A unique ability to straddle the progressive mission of our organization with the intense demands of the current era’s rapid news cycle
- Commitment to social justice, a better world, and the stated mission of Common Dreams
- Determination to foster a healthy work environment, including a record of hiring diverse writers and recognizing strengths and talents of team members and potential employees
- Strong background and broad understanding of U.S. politics, international relations, and key global issues from progressive perspective
- Solid proficiency with online publishing platforms and tools (CMS, html, Drupal, Wordpress, editing software, etc)
- Highly adept social media skills and ability to tell, share, and promote stories on multiple channels
- Some evening and occasional weekend work comes with the position
Person likely to thrive with this position:
- Is self-starter who feels comfortable and confident working alone, but also thrives as part of close-knit team working towards common goal
- Can grab the news and views of the world by the horns
- Recognizes, and has passion for, independent media’s unique role within larger information landscape
- Has sense of purpose and of humor
- Understands the demands of the news cycle, but also the importance of recharging batteries and maintaining healthy life/work balance
- Is looking for a place to put years of quality experience and passion to work for an outlet whose commitment to a better world comes first and where the bottom line is maintained by serving our readers, not investors or corporate advertisers
Salary is commensurate with experience and is competitive with non-profit public interest pay scales. Common Dreams provides a generous benefits package that includes health care, paid holidays and vacation, sick days, and parental/family leave.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, conforming to the spirit as well as the letter of the law in our hiring and celebrate the value of diversity in all its forms. We welcome and encourage all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, gender identity or expression, or prior status.
Please send cover letter, resume, no more than 3 relevant writing samples, and references. No calls, please.
About Common Dreams
Common Dreams has been providing breaking news & views for the progressive community since 1997. We are independent, non-profit, ad-free and nearly 100% reader-supported. Our mission: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good.