- Full Time
Atlas Obscura is looking for a senior-level digital editor to lead our Places team. The Places Editor is responsible for the day-to-day publication of our signature product, a user-generated database of more 13,000 hidden wonders around the world. You’ll manage a growing team of editors, writers, and contributors who identify and tell the stories of each new place added to the Atlas. You’ll assign and edit articles and other content types that help make the Atlas ever more useful to our reader community. You'll also have the chance to collaborate with our video team on projects inspired by the Atlas. This role reports directly to the editor-in-chief, and will be based out of our offices in Brooklyn, NY.
- Editing both original and user-generated content about the world’s hidden wonders.
- Overseeing the work of a growing in-house team, as well as freelance contributors.
- Managing workflow and maintaining high editorial standards across the Atlas.
- Communicating with users who need help or feedback on their submissions.
- Assigning and executing editorial packages that make the Atlas ever more useful to its readers and user community.
- Collaborating with product, design, and other teams on community strategy and user experience.
- Leading and implementing the overall strategic editorial direction of the Atlas and related content.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in digital publishing.
- Outstanding editing skills, with the ability to improve the work of professional writers as well as what’s submitted by our user community.
- Demonstrated interest or experience in digital strategy.
- Highly detail-oriented and organized.
- A passion for Atlas Obscura’s mission and a deep curiosity about the world.
You'll Get Noticed If:
- You have experience leading teams.
- You have experience in any of the following industries: the travel industry, including writing or editing for travel guides or related reference works; lifestyle brands, including writing or editing for publications focused on travel, exploration, geography, or related topics. Experience with user-generated content and/or product development is a particular plus.
- You have a passion for developing and implementing big-picture digital strategies.
- You are yourself well-traveled.
- You have a sense of humor and work well with others.
Compensation is competitive and includes equity. To apply, please email a résumé, cover letter, and links to three work samples. For samples of editing work, please include a short description of why you're particularly proud of your involvement in the final product.