Online Celebrity Photo & Video Journalist
- Full Time
Online Celebrity Photo Editor
Reports to: Digital Society, Party & Celebrity Editor
The Evening Standard website (standard.co.uk) is looking for a talented photo editor and journalist with an in-depth knowledge of celebrities, royals and VIPs.
The New York based candidate will be tasked with sourcing photos and videos which reflect the international celebrity scene. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the Evening Standard’s first US based team.
- This role involves working closely with the Digital Society, Party & Celebrity Editor (who will be based in the UK) and a New York based Celebrity, Royal and Society Journalist to supply suitable pictures and video for the US and UK based journalists.
- They will also caption the images and should have experience of writing articles for a digital audience. Candidates will have worked within a fast-paced digital team, with proven digital publishing skills and the ability to produce compelling content.
- They will be expected to meet traffic targets and achieve SEO, social media and audience growth. They will be flexible to work within a 24/7 publishing environment.
ESI Media is an innovative multichannel media business. Our brands include the Evening Standard, The Independent and London Live. We have offices based in the UK and US.
The Evening Standard is one of the leading publications in the UK with a heritage that spans nearly 200 years and a reputation for quality content. Its global digital readership continues to expand.
The ES Digital Features team
The Evening Standard’s Digital Features team incorporates three key pillars: Lifestyle, GO London and Shopping with a soon to be launched pillar focusing on celebrity, VIP society and style content. Each section is committed to delivering the latest news, reviews and features on the best trends and topical issues. We deliver quality cross-platform content for a global urban audience.
The dynamic, fast-growing team covers a wide spectrum of subjects from restaurants and bars to fashion, travel, tech and fitness. We also champion the arts and entertainment.
- A motivated individual with a passion for content that focuses on celebrities, royals and the VIP party scene.
- You will have worked in a fast paced editorial environment and be enthused by the challenge of working on a new project.
- You will be flexible about working hours.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities - what is delivered
- Sourcing and editing photos and video
- Managing a photo/video budget
- In depth knowledge of photo/video rights and experience of dealing with agencies and other contributors
- Keeping on top of the photo and video wires to cover breaking stories
- Ability to write photo captions and stories
- Assist with video content creation
- Contributing to a celebrity-driven content strategy plan for a new section, that focuses on major VIP and red carpet events around the world as well as trending/social content that will appeal to a US/UK/global audience
- Grow social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – with scope to start new accounts across different media.
- Meet traffic targets
- Responsive delivery – Work to specified traffic targets and commercial objectives
- Collaboration – ability to build and maintain positive and supporting working relationships with colleagues, helping to create an inclusive and professional work environment
- Initiative – effort to continuously update own knowledge and skill-set to support the achievement of business objectives
- Flexible – able to work in a smart, flexible and focussed way, and be open to change, while also suggesting ideas for improvements
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Keen and comprehensive interest in all areas associated with celebrity and VIP life
- At least 3 years’ experience in digital publishing
- Proven experience using data analytics
- A strong contacts books of PRs, writers and influencers
- Photoshop + InDesign experience
- Ability to source pictures and compile online galleries
- Experience using affiliate marketing tools
- Experience in managing and commissioning freelancers
- Experience in contributing to and growing social media platforms, in particular Facebook and Instagram
- Good forward planning skills
- Strong understanding of SEO
- Record of pitching, researching and writing clean, compelling and accurate copy
- Ability to cut/edit video
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations to email@example.com. Closing date is 2nd July 2018.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.