- Full Time
As part of the WPIX News team the freelance reporter collects and analyzes information about newsworthy events. The reporter must be able to prepare and deliver those stories on multiple station platforms, including social media sites.Responsibilities
- Connect with the target viewer with a real and engaging presentation.
- Receive assignment and/or evaluate news leads and tips to develop story ideas
- Gather, verify and prioritize story information through interviews, observation and research
- Write clear, concise stories using proper grammar and vocabulary according to newsroom style and format standards.
- Use video effectively and creatively in information gathering, storytelling and story editing; understands the principles of video editing.
- Enterprise stories; cultivates sources for news stories; consistently brings ideas to daily news meetings.
- Demonstrate knowledge of current local national and international events and issues.
- Works effectively under pressure of multiple deadlines each day; meets those deadlines.
- Processes, prioritizes and communicates information clearly and accurately in an unstructured and sometimes distracting environment such as breaking news, live interviews or ad-libbing.
- Work effectively with coworkers, including but not limited to news managers, photojournalists, video editors, directors, anchors, engineers and producers.
- Uses a clear, understandable and pleasant voice; must use proper phrasing, grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and emotional range.
- Works effectively from the field or in studio setting using broadcasting equipment.
- Represents the station via public appearances and speeches.
- Maintains professional appearance based on newsroom standards
- Works long hours or odd hours to report a story; may travel for stories; may be on air for extended periods of time including breaking or developing news.
- Use computer software to write and edit stories. Use computer and internet to research stories.
- Embrace station initiatives for social media engagement – provide content to the station website and a variety of social media outlets.
- Ability to utilize social media tools to tell news stories on all platforms throughout the shift.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent degree in journalism or related field.
- Strong writing skills and knowledge of AP style required.
- Strong computer skills desired
- Must be self-directing, self-motivating and able to work well with a diverse group of people.
- Must be able to handle stress, including short deadlines.
- Must have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must be able to work at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to work assigned shifts which may include overnights, nights and weekends
- Ability to do other tasks as assigned by news management.
#TBMBCompany InfoTribune Media Company (NYSE: TRCO) is home to a diverse portfolio of television and digital properties driven by quality news, entertainment, and sports programming. Tribune Media is comprised of Tribune Broadcasting's 42 owned or operated local television stations reaching more than 50 million households, national entertainment network WGN America, whose reach is approaching 80 million households, Tribune Studios, and a variety of digital applications and websites commanding 60 million monthly unique visitors online. Tribune Media also includes Chicago's WGN-AM and the national multicast networks Antenna TV and THIS TV. Additionally, the Company owns and manages a significant number of real estate properties across the U.S. and holds a variety of investments, including a 31% equity interest in TV Food Network and a 32% equity interest in CareerBuilder. For more information please visit http://www.tribunemedia.com.