National Sales Manager
Act as Manager of National Sales for WPIX TV working in conjunction with national representative offices with the responsibility to maximize all national or regional sales revenue ensuring all financial goals are being met while developing and maintaining relationships with clients.
- Participates in the development of a planning process that produces acceptable operating plans and budgets for the Department for submission to the Director of Sales.
- Provides an environment that supports the management philosophy of the organization and that provides leadership to employees in contributing to the success of the organization.
- Assures the periodic comparison of performance/results against established standards/objectives so that corrective actions are taken to ensure that total results are in line with total objectives.
- Assists the various national representative (rep) firms through on-going evaluation of various areas including revenue growth, share increases, success at selling specials, pre-and-post-sell efforts, and attention to buyers’ and Stations’ needs.
- Develops sales goals and strategies to effectively meet those goals.
- Assist rep firms in preparing sales presentations for major events and specials by gathering data from various station sources and overseeing preparation and presentation.
- Packages available airtime and digital assets, decides rates to be charged using Station’s commercial rate card as a guide and sells to national buyers.
- Develops and maintains direct relationship with agencies and clients to promote the Station.
- Supervises national sales assistant and assists in the training and developing of Station and rep firm sales personnel.
- Bachelor’s degree in advertising or marketing or equivalent related experience.
- Requires analytical and technical skills to analyze the markets in order to, package, price, and sell available airtime.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of sales, research and agency operations to train, motivate, direct and evaluate the performance of staff and rep firm. Requires a thorough knowledge of the ratings strategies of each station and competing rep firms in the national markets.
- Must demonstrate effective negotiation skills, oral and written communication skills to communicate with and influence internal and external contacts.
- Requires the ability to analyze the market, set rates and direct national sales activity to meet established financial goals and market share.
- Requires ability to effectively direct and influence national sales activity to get the best performance for the station.
- Typically requires three to five years experience in television sales with three or more years in a major market.
- Must be able to travel extensively to visit clients and solicit business.
- Decisions directly affect the station’s ability to meet its revenue and market share goals and impacts the station’s image in the advertising community.
- Works under the general direction of the Director of Sales.
- Works on a day to day basis with station sales staff as well as national representative sales staff and management; has frequent telephone contact with sales reps, agencies and clients; and visits rep firm offices on a regular basis.
Tribune Media Company (NYSE: TRCO) is home to a diverse portfolio of television and digital properties driven by quality news, entertainment, and sports programming. Tribune Media is comprised of Tribune Broadcasting's 42 owned or operated local television stations reaching more than 50 million households, national entertainment network WGN America, whose reach is approaching 80 million households, Tribune Studios, and a variety of digital applications and websites commanding 60 million monthly unique visitors online. Tribune Media also includes Chicago's WGN-AM and the national multicast networks Antenna TV and THIS TV. Additionally, the Company owns and manages a significant number of real estate properties across the U.S. and holds a variety of investments, including a 31% equity interest in TV Food Network and a 32% equity interest in CareerBuilder. For more information please visit http://www.tribunemedia.com.