Communications Manager (Publicity & Marketing): Mysteries & Commercial Fiction
- Full Time
Kensington Publishing is seeking a Communications Manager who will be in charge of the publicity, marketing and author support for 8 – 12 new Mystery and Commercial Fiction releases each month. Reporting to the Communications Director, you will develop and launch campaigns to promote your assigned titles through both earned and paid exposure, while also growing the overall Kensington brand within your genres.
Candidate should have at least 3 years of experience working with commercial fiction and/or mystery titles in the communications/ public relations/ publicity field, established media contacts, the ability to think strategically, a keen sense for reaching niche audiences and strong multi-tasking skills to strategize, plan and execute campaigns
- Create, develop and implement effective marketing and publicity campaigns for mystery titles across a range of subgenres, including cozy mysteries, historical mysteries and thrillers.
- Pitch and secure interviews, events, blog tours, partnership opportunities, reviews and other PR initiatives to promote books / authors.
- Provide author support as needed and work with authors to develop their brands.
- Conceive, draft, edit and review marketing content on a daily basis.
- Write promotional copy for press releases, pitch letters, catalogs and sponsored content.
- Maintain records; monitor, track, circulate and analyze relevant media coverage and marketing strategies.
- Work closely with colleagues in Communications department to plan large-scale events and fan conventions, including Malice Domestic and Bouchercon.
- Coordinate and collaborate with in-house Social Media Manager as needed.
- Work with authors to obtain exclusive content for use in promotions online, both via Kensington’s platforms as well as other areas, including blog tours.
- Identify potential partners and new opportunities for promoting Kensington books and developing authors’ brands.
- Present strategies at relevant in-house Sales meetings.
- At least 3 years of experience in communications/ public relations/ publicity field.
- Established media contacts and familiarity with the outlets, reviewers, producers, bloggers and influencers who are essential to securing exposure for commercial fiction books and authors.
- Proven track record of securing press and executing innovative, successful campaigns.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to produce marketing content.
- A keen sense for identifying and reaching niche audiences.
- Strong multi-tasking skills to strategize, plan and execute campaigns.
- Knowledge and understanding of the publishing process.
- A proven ability to generate creative story ideas, pitch angles and pitches.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization (internally and externally).
- Ability to take initiative on assigned projects/tasks and work with minimal supervision.
- High level of familiarity with Microsoft Office, particularly Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Familiarity with Adobe Suite is a plus.
- Desire and ability to support authors and help to develop their careers.
To apply, please send resume with writing samples (press release, pitch, marketing content, etc. – whatever you think represents your skills) and a brief description of one or two recent campaigns that you feel you handled successfully.