Copy Editor/Digital Producer
Matador Network is seeking two enthusiastic, part-time copy editors/digital producers — one on the East Coast, and one on the West Coast of the United States — to work remotely. Together, they will cover Matador Network’s editorial working hours by trading shifts midday. They will copy edit all content, and input pieces into our Content Management System for publishing. To apply, please send resume and cover letter with the subject line “Copy Editor/Digital Producer” by May 31.
Daily job duties:
- Copy edit stories before publication, checking for spelling, grammar and formatting issues, using AP style and some unique Matador Network style policies.
- Check that photos are fair use, and occasionally source photos for stories using our stock photo account.
- Confirm that all authors have submitted their author’s rights paperwork.
- Input stories, photos, and any other media assets (social media embeds, videos, etc), into WordPress.
- Fill out all appropriate metadata and check that hyperlinks are active.
- Schedule stories for publishing, and update publication status in both our editorial calendar and author database.
- Attend weekly staff meetings via an online conferencing system, and be available for digital communication throughout the day on Slack.
- You will have the opportunity to pitch story ideas for the website on a weekly basis, if desired, and write content provided all other responsibilities are met.
Skills: Strong command of English language required. WordPress experience and knowledge of AP style desired.
Location: Remote. United States — East Coast and West Coast only. You will report to our California-based Managing Editor, and work closely with other editors and staff writers based around the world.
Hours: The East Coast copy editor will work from 9 am to 3 pm EST, and the West Coast copy editor will work from 12 pm to 6 pm PST, Monday through Friday. This is an entry-level, independent contractor position and will receive an hourly rate of compensation.
About Matador Network:
Matador is the world’s largest independent travel publisher. Since 2006, we’ve redefined travel media by developing a global network of editors, writers, photographers, and filmmakers who’ve won numerous awards and pushed the limits of what’s possible as travel storytellers. Our passion for innovative, socially relevant, and inspirational content has made Matador the fastest-growing travel lifestyle brand on the Internet and inspired partnerships with dozens of the world’s biggest brands and destinations. With an unquenchable curiosity for the world and people around us, Matador is creating the travel network of the future. Join us.