Media Relations Assistant
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is one of the nation’s most effective environmental action organizations. We use law, science, and the support of some 3 million members and activists to protect human health and the environment which supports it, as well as the planet’s wildlife and wild places. Founded in 1970, NRDC staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws. Today, our staff of nearly 600 passionate environmental advocates – including lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, the development team and others – work to protect and create environmental progress at home and abroad from offices in New York, Washington, DC, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
Our fast-paced communications team is seeking a Chicago-based assistant to support our media team members across the country. The Media Relations Assistant will provide administrative support in a variety of capacities, including invoice and expense processing, budget accounting, and travel arrangements. The Media Relations Assistant will also work on research, list building, writing, copy editing, media strategy, and pitching reporters on stories. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, with strong written and verbal communications skills and the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment with overlapping tasks and deadlines. Experience with media/PR a plus.
- Completing expense reports for our communications staff; arranging travel as needed; scheduling meetings and conference calls
- Processing invoices
- Managing budgets and updating budget trackers
- Developing contracts and license agreements
- Building and maintaining press lists
- Distributing press releases through Cision; posting press releases on NRDC website
- Fielding reporter calls
- Pitching stories; following up with reporters
- Coordinating TV and radio interviews
- Tracking and analyzing media coverage
- 1-3 years previous administrative or professional experience
- Strong interest in, media relations, communications and/or journalism
- Bachelor Degree required
- Outstanding organizational skills, the ability to multi-task, set priorities, follow institutional procedures and perform undirected work
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Close attention to detail and follow through on tasks
- Ability to work accurately and with composure under deadline pressure
- Willingness to be available for occasional overtime work
- Must possess a high degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Interest in environmental issues or social justice advocacy a plus
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org