Palgrave Macmillan specialises in cutting-edge academic books in the Humanities and Social Sciences. It publishes monographs, journals, textbooks, professional and reference works, in subjects ranging from Political Science, Economics and History, to Literature, Linguistics and Business.
Palgrave, part of Springer Nature, is currently recruiting either an Associate Editor or Editor to support a select grouping of Palgrave Academic Journals. While our preference is to hire at the Associate Editor level, we have flexibility to consider Editor level candidates based on experience, subject familiarity and growth trajectory in the publishing community.
The Associate Editor / Editor will be responsible for the direct editorial and publishing management of a portfolio of highly respected publisher- and society-owned titles in Business, Economics, and related areas, to achieve high-quality content, robust peer review practices, financial and usage growth, and value-added services for editors, authors, and society partners. S/he will be involved in strategic development, including the opportunity to acquire and develop new titles, as well as company-wide initiatives to achieve growth targets for the established journals programs. Working closely with the Palgrave books groups, as well as with Springer, Nature, and Open Access colleagues in all departments, the s/he will draw from a strong social science and humanities tradition to promote the Palgrave brand at Springer Nature and with external stakeholders.
- Manage part of the journal portfolio within the assigned subject area, and maintain profitable relationships with the Editors in Chief, Editorial Board members, and society partners
- Contribute towards annual Journal Development/Improvement Plans and oversee their implementation and successful conclusion
- Oversee creation of annual reports as might be required for Editorial Board meetings and for society partners
- Remain a point of contact for Editors in Chief throughout the publication process
- Research market trends on a national and international level
- Meet goals set by editorial management
- Identify market potential and develop new products and titles to suit those markets
- Frequent interaction with colleagues in many departments (including, but not limited to, production, journal editorial office, marketing, sales, publishing operations, exhibits, logistics/fulfillment/customer service, editorial rights, research integrity, finance/controlling, IT), and with editorial colleagues in global locations, in other publishing units, and across Springer Nature research groups
- Business travel (domestic/international) as required
- Other duties as required by managers
Additional responsibilities at the Editor level include, but are not limited to, active contributions to program and portfolio strategy and business development, involvement in company-wide initiatives, engagement with colleagues at Springer, and participation in journal acquisitions and launches.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Excellent English language skills
- Undergraduate or graduate degree; preference for candidates with a degree in the subject area(s) or related field of study
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills and be numerate and IT systems-literate, with a sharp eye for detail
- Be a diplomatic and assertive individual who is able to work with demanding stake-holders
- Be able to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and be able to work on their own initiative
- Be resourceful and proactive in dealing with problems and queries
- Have excellent team-working skills to deal with people within the company and externally at all levels
- Excellent networking skills
- Ability to work independently within a (virtual) team environment
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
For information about our Research Editorial and Publishing career opportunities please visit the new Springer Nature E&P website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.