Digital News Production Editor (weekends)
This is not a video editing post; the position involves editing news text only. Please only apply if you have a background in written copy. Thank you!
South China Morning Post (SCMP) is looking for a smart, experienced digital production news editor located in or near New York City to head up production on Saturdays and Sundays (up to three midweek days are also available per week, if desired).
As digital production editor, you will be responsible for:
- Selecting stories from newswires; editing them for style, content and tone in our CMS; and making them sparkle with SCMP's award-winning range of infographics, interactives and videos.
- Ensuring all copy is up-to-date, grammatically accurate and has appropriate photographs and illustrations.
- Editing copy produced by our in-house reporters.
- Arranging the International and Hong Kong homepages based on article performance seen in our analysis tools.
- Updating the SCMP Twitter and Facebook feeds; sending out mobile alerts for our most important and breaking stories; setting A/B alternate headline tests on homepages.
- Liaising with the Hong Kong and Vancouver teams at the beginnings and ends of shifts to provide handover notes and maintain a smooth workflow.
- Uploading a small number of articles from the newspaper to the website.
The ideal candidate will be a focused and experienced news editor who is comfortable and confident working solo and as part of a team, with at least 3 years of relevant experience. They will be capable of selecting and shaping stories based on audience interest and reacting quickly to developing events.
An ability to write smart headlines and gripping introductions is essential. Training will be provided, but prior experience with the following would be useful: Swing, Methode, Chartbeat, Tableau, Buffer, Drupal, Merlin, news content management systems and Slack. Ability to speak and read Chinese is not essential, but may be useful.
This position is only open to American citizens or Green Card holders.
The candidate will work from home on weekends and from the Manahattan office on weekdays (if applicable). Training will be performed at the Manhattan office on weekdays prior to first weekend shift.
Weekend hours are typically midday-8pm in summer, 11am-7pm in winter. Weekday times are typically 10am-6pm (summer)/9am-5pm (winter). Times may vary.
Interested parties please send curriculum vitae with full career details. Please title "SCMP Weekend Editor".
Apply for Digital News Production Editor (weekends)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly